• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Classic Optics do you still use regularily? (1 Viewer)

Bino Steve

United States
I'm a huge fan of vintage binoculars and scopes. To me they are like a classic car. I just love the look and feel. So, what classic do you still use at least fairly regularly if not all the time. Share what you've got ! I'll make the cut-off date at around year 1995 and earlier.

"Hanseat" (made by the German company Hartmann) 8x30, Tasco #116 7x35, "Adler" super wide 7x35, Komz 8x30 from '91, "Olympia" (just a random brand name) wide angle 7x50 (made in Japan), Luna Super wide angle 8x30, Komz "Seconda" 7x30 from '94.
Tasco #116 and "Adler":
0xkm7.jpg

Only got a pic of the Hanseat when it was opened to clean the prisms. But I made a thread about it.
gbjf6.jpg

3uj9g.jpg
hlk30.jpg

h1jaw.jpg

mhk8d.jpg

66k0k.jpg

mhjcx.jpg

xqk4w.jpg

(older one on the left)

Nice group, and photos too. You obviously collect, hence your name, what is your specialty? Wides, certain years, Mfgs ? I love my extra wides and tiny tiny skeleton reverse porros and other minis.

Thanks :). Mainly wide angles like 8x30s and 7x35s, some Russian binos because they are so razor sharp and sturdy but most of my collection are Japanese binos from the 70s and 80s. Just getting into German makers after getting an Optolyth, Hartmann and Hanseat (also Hartmann probably as the inner construction is the same). Another favourite area are flat field binos (mainly for astronomy) -- but those are younger than '95. Like the Canon 8x32 WP, which I think is still excellent.
At the moment I am also very much interested in lower magnifications, so I'll have my eyes open for a vintage Zeiss 6x30 and the likes. And one of the next planned purchases is an IOR 7x40.

Very cool. Are you in USA or overseas? I don't see much Russian here but would like a few. Trying some German here and there. Been burnt by vintage Zeiss as poor diopter design has them stuck beyond repair, so done with those. Just got this tiniest of Leitz (Leica) Oberon though. Excellent view for such a mini. Selling off a bunch of stuff now though. I'm learning what I like.20220729_184120.jpg

8x30 is such a great size. I just picked up a never used, in the box ,1950s French Lemaire 8x30. They are beautifully done and a great size.

Very cool. Are you in USA or overseas?
Germany, where there are still many old Russian optics on eBay. Many where also sold under German brand names like "Bresser" and "Revue". Those are often cheaper as people don't know what they are. An original Komz 8x30 might be listed for 100€ while you can get a "Revue" labeled one for 30.

That's really cool. Probably lots of great glass on Germany Ebay.
Definitely. Currently there are 2,700+ used binos on German ebay. I just checked. A large part vintage Japanese, Russian, German (Zeiss, Leica, etc). Basically every household "needed" to have a good binocular. An aunt of mine for example has a vintage Zeiss Dialyt. I inherited the pre-WWII Hensoldt of my grandpa and a Steiner 10x50 from my other grandpa. My dad had a Tasco 10x50, if I remember correctly. And most of the time those binos were treated with respect. So many are still in good condition when buying used. Not many people hunt in Germany -- you need a license (there's not that much wildlife around and forests are often rather small), so the binos were for the most part not tools that might get knocked around but mainly used for nature observation or birding while hiking. Hiking and going for a walk is like a German tradition.

That's some interesting facts about Germany I didn't know. I will have to get there again one day. I visited Dinkelsbuhl back in 1984 and loved that town. Such pretty country . I was so impressed with how clean Germany was. The fields seemed like they were mowed and manicured right up to the edge of the roads. I'm in California. They pick up trash but lots of ugly weeds along the roads. Lots of wildlife in my yard. Potential to see Black Bear, Mountain Lions, deer, foxes, Bobcats. Ringtail cats, skunks, squirrels, coyotes, gophers. Snakes such as Rattlesnake, Gopher snakes and King Snakes. Common birds seen from my yard here are owls, vultures, eagles, magpies, doves, finches. Hummingbirds, Robins, mockingbirds, sparrows, crows, ravens, woodpeckers, Bluejays, but the highlight twice a year is that I'm right under one of the Sandhill Crane migration routes and they pass over at 1000 to 2000 ft. We hear them and always run outside to see.

None..... sold em. I had a pair of Dialyt's (West German made) but they were too slow to focus.... too 'long' physically...... Oldies are not always goodies....

None..... sold em. I had a pair of Dialyt's (West German made) but they were too slow to focus.... too 'long' physically...... Oldies are not always goodies....
I hear ya. Those are bulky buggers. I have a bunch of vintage Japanese glass. Some are very good. And would serve a lifetime. I think we tend to get too picky about optics specs. We are all more spoiled than 99% of the rest of the world. You can wildlife view without optics too. I think we forget that.

I hear ya. Those are bulky buggers. I have a bunch of vintage Japanese glass. Some are very good. And would serve a lifetime. I think we tend to get too picky about optics specs. We are all more spoiled than 99% of the rest of the world. You can wildlife view without optics too. I think we forget that.
I used to go to Ecuador all the time and the guides ( who were excellent birders) and whom I used from time to time when I had a bunch of people with me.... used a combination of 'knowing the location since childhood'.... 'listening to the sounds' and 'using the most beat-up, junky, cheap..... ' pair of bins I have seen. So yeah, we are spoiled! jim

Last week i bought a 1977 Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 with IF aka Safari. I am positively surprised about the image quality, especially on a sunny day. One of my most robust and tough binoculars. Also i have a few Swift binoculars. One is from 1965, Saratoga 8x40. The build quality of these old bins are so good that i think they will survive another 100 years without problems. The new ones are better but the old ones are still good, very good and perfectly usable for everyday use. The sheperds on Crete i meet on my hikings often have old beaten bins, mostly 8x30. Still doing their job

Attachments

• 900102F3-E9EE-4DEF-8B96-633055C5AC7D.jpeg
    900102F3-E9EE-4DEF-8B96-633055C5AC7D.jpeg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 05C80CCA-036B-4C0E-B225-E1E605F027EF.jpeg
    05C80CCA-036B-4C0E-B225-E1E605F027EF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Yep, old 8x30 IFs will be kicking around forever. I too have some Swifts. A Saratoga with original box. Couple Tritons, Audubon 804R, Nighthawk. I find all the Swifts clear and crisp but colors are faded out to my eye so selling off some. I think like new cars, new binos are better than old for performance, but they won't last like the classics. So..the classics are better. IMO

Do you guys have any thoughts about Greenkat “ten” 8x30 with 10deg fov?

I’m new to vintage binos - in fact its some of your posts that got me to start looking!

Just waiting on the greenkat in the mail - please dont be a dud

Do you guys have any thoughts about Greenkat “ten” 8x30 with 10deg fov?

I’m new to vintage binos - in fact its some of your posts that got me to start looking!

Just waiting on the greenkat in the mail - please dont be a dud
I don’t know this Greenkat but for sure i like his name…Greenkat 😺

Last edited:
Have seen Greenkat around but the one I tried to get in auction I lost. I think they are typical decent Japanese but not superb. But hey, enjoy collecting them.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back