• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do birds like in a seed-cracking perch? (1 Viewer)

Tired

United States
A chickadee has just started visiting my feeder. It comes, picks up a seed, and then flies off to crack the seed elsewhere. I'd like to set up a perch close to the feeder so I can watch it and other birds open seeds, so I'm trying to figure out what sort of perch they'd like. Should I just attach a nice, sturdy bit of branch nearby?

When birds take seed and fly off they are usually taking it into cover. A feeder is an open and dangerous place. If you have a bush nearby you could try placing a perch in there. Somewhere that provides cover but you can still see in.

I can't film very well through the one-way film that stops the cat from scaring the birds off, but the chickadee did sit and crack one seed on the perch. I watched for awhile, and it mostly flew to a nearby tree branch to open seeds. I can't hang additional perches nearby because this is the second story and I'm not that tall, but I may attach a nice stick to the hanging hook for anything that wants to hang out and crack seeds right up close. There are some vines really close, so hopefully they feel comfortable sticking around.

One-way film is great. I've never seen birds this close up, and they have no idea I'm here! Plus, the cat's incredibly entertained.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back