• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do you suggest for a two day trip in Denmark now? (1 Viewer)

Jurij Hanžel

Registrirani uporabnik
I'm going to Copenhagen tomorrow and am quite familiar with the nearby sites such as Vestamager and Kongelunden, as well as Olsemagle Revle. My mother is working for a Danish company and she has decided to take next Thursday and Friday off.

That's a chance for a trip further afield. So what do you suggest? Is Skagen good at this time of year (it may be a bit out of range though)? I'd really like to visit a migration hotspot because we don't really have them in Slovenia. Suggestions for S Sweden are welcome as well.

And there is one more sub-question: how do you transposrt a tripod on a plane?
Do you merely squeeze it into your bag or does it have to go down as oversized luggage (mind you, it's a pretty much standard birding tripod)

Thanks!

Jurij Hanžel said:
I'm going to Copenhagen tomorrow and am quite familiar with the nearby sites such as Vestamager and Kongelunden, as well as Olsemagle Revle. My mother is working for a Danish company and she has decided to take next Thursday and Friday off.

That's a chance for a trip further afield. So what do you suggest? Is Skagen good at this time of year (it may be a bit out of range though)? I'd really like to visit a migration hotspot because we don't really have them in Slovenia. Suggestions for S Sweden are welcome as well.

And there is one more sub-question: how do you transposrt a tripod on a plane?
Do you merely squeeze it into your bag or does it have to go down as oversized luggage (mind you, it's a pretty much standard birding tripod)

Thanks!

I did once go to Skagen in October, thinking it would be good for Roughlegs (still amongst my all-time favourite birds..) and discovered that was a bit naive on my part as of course for migrants coming into Denmark in autumn (as opposed to leaving in spring) there is not the same funnelling effect. So whilst Skagen is great place, S Sweden may be a better bet in autumn or indeed in the E coast of the Danish islands.

So hopefully someone from Denmark will respond, but that may help shape your thoughts.

Hi Jurij,

It sounds like you already know the best sites around Copenhagen, so I'd reccommend Southern Sweden as a better alternative. As a migration hotspot Skagen is very much a spring site; the autumn equivalent is Falsterbo at the southern tip of Sweden. It is getting a bit late in the season for migration now, but there are still birds on the move - the official counts are updated daily at http://www.artportalen.se/birds/inventeringar/falsterbo_str.asp?lang=eng.
There is more information about the area at : http://www.skof.se/fbo/index_e.html

There are other sites quite close by for eagles, Red Kites and geese, but I don't have the information to hand. Let me know if you need any more info and I'll try and dig it out.

My tripod always goes in the bottom of my bag.

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanks very much, Stuart and white-back. I think Falsterbo is worth checking out, even though it's not the best season. It's the sort of site I had only read about before and has a bit of a "mythical" air to it.

Could just give me directions from Malmo (we'll rent a car there) to Falsterbo please, Stuart?

Last edited:
Jurij Hanžel said:
Thanks very much, Stuart and white-back. I think Falsterbo is worth checking out, even though it's not the best season. It's the sort of site I had only read about before and has a bit of a "mythical" air to it.

Could just give me directions from Malmo (we'll rent a car there) to Falsterbo please, Stuart?

To reach Falsterbo from Malmo you travel south on the E22 towards Trelleborg and Falsterbo is signposted off to the left. It should only be about 30 minutes by car.

Cheers,

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back