• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What happened to this bird? (Warning: Kinda Graphic) (1 Viewer)

Jolu42

United States
I found this finch by my step after a hail storm. What is wrong with it? It has growths all over it. Poor bird looked like it was really suffering :(

IMG_3700.JPGIMG_3699.JPG

Hi Jolu and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It looks like ticks, possibly infested when in the nest. Hopefully they''ll drop off in a few days.... but there's so many I think he needs professional treatment. Most vets will give free emergency treatment to wildlife. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds.

Please let us know how you get on.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

It was about an inch in diameter.

Should I do anything? I put her over near my feeders, didn't know what to do.
That's a lot of pain falling on the bird. Perhaps cover it leaving it's head exposed. The warmth should hopefully help.

Hi Jolu and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It looks like ticks, possibly infested when in the nest. Hopefully they''ll drop off in a few days.... but there's so many I think he needs professional treatment. Most vets will give free emergency treatment to wildlife. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds.

Please let us know how you get on.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thank you for the response. I went to check on it and it was gone. Maybe flew away? There a lot of Red-Tailed Hawks where I live so who knows.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back