• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this bird in my (California) backyard (1 Viewer)

Debsyard

I could use some help with the identification of a pair I have nesting currently. When I was only aware of one (before coming across a nest and 2 fledlgings yesterday) I thought maybe it was an immature American Robin who hadn't gotten his chest color in yet. Now I realize I have a pair of adults and therefore not a Robin. They're slightly smaller, same body shape, dark in color, except a rust colored area under tail, with a simple high 'chirp', will eat dropped seed under feeders, very inquisitive and curious of me, not real shy. Any clues as to what they are? I've looked through many books and websites, no pictures that really match. Looks like it's from the Thrush family? Thanks, Deb (I'm still trying to get used to how the forum works, so sorry for posting in a few areas)

Debsyard said:
I could use some help with the identification of a pair I have nesting currently. When I was only aware of one (before coming across a nest and 2 fledlgings yesterday) I thought maybe it was an immature American Robin who hadn't gotten his chest color in yet. Now I realize I have a pair of adults and therefore not a Robin. They're slightly smaller, same body shape, dark in color, except a rust colored area under tail, with a simple high 'chirp', will eat dropped seed under feeders, very inquisitive and curious of me, not real shy. Any clues as to what they are? I've looked through many books and websites, no pictures that really match. Looks like it's from the Thrush family? Thanks, Deb (I'm still trying to get used to how the forum works, so sorry for posting in a few areas)

Overall brown with rust under the tail, I bet they are California Towhee's

You're right - they're Brown Towhees

DavidP said:
Overall brown with rust under the tail, I bet they are California Towhee's

I looked up California Towhee online in Google Images and there it was! The book I was using "The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds" had a picture of one that was much paler and therefore I didn't consider it. When I read the description, it fit the pair I have perfectly. They are a great joy to watch.

Yesterday, when I went around my sideyard, their 2 fledgelings were on the ground (pink with a few feathers and helpless). The parents were frantically hopping and flying around. I asked my husband to go up on a ladder to look at the nest. The nest had come loose from the branches on one side, tilted over and spilled out the babies. We used gloves and he resecured the nest, placed the young back in it and left them to their own destiny. So far, so good...Maybe a happy ending, we'll see.

Thank you for your I.D.

Debsyard said:
I looked up California Towhee online in Google Images and there it was! The book I was using "The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds" had a picture of one that was much paler and therefore I didn't consider it.

That's interesting. When I first noticed California Towhees 15 months ago, the only field guide I owned was the National Geographic one, and it had the same problem. I needed to post a photo to this forum for identification. Sibley's has much better pictures of California Towhees.

Brown Towhee fledgelings

Katy Penland said:
Hey, Deb, please keep us posted on how your babies are doing, okay? Good on ya for getting the nest and chicks sorted. :t:

I will keep you updated. The day we rescued them was Sunday and we were supposed to get rain that night and lasting for a few days. Luckily, mother nature felt it necessary to intervene and pushed back the storm. The rain started today and should end tomorrow. I felt this gave the family a chance to get settled back in and back to normal. I see the male around the ground under my feeders, getting food, even with the rain. And he is always staying close to his mate and making calls to her. I'm crossing my fingers that all is going well in the nest.

Deb

Sibley's book

Garrett Lau said:
That's interesting. When I first noticed California Towhees 15 months ago, the only field guide I owned was the National Geographic one, and it had the same problem. I needed to post a photo to this forum for identification. Sibley's has much better pictures of California Towhees.

What region does this Sibley's book cover. I am looking for another book, so that I will have more than one to reference.

There are actually three versions of Sibley's, but you only need one. I have The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America. There is also an Eastern field guide, and a big book (Sibley Guide to Birds) that has all the information from both of the field guides.

California Towhee fledglings update: well, not good! My husband decided to get the ladder out again and peak in the nest - guess what, no babies? I see the parents every day, since Sunday's recovery and no babies have turned up on the ground. The parents are still hanging around the nest/tree, so I thought all was well. We had two horrible days of wind, rain, and lightning. There are some stray cats that I see VERY RARELY. Is it possible the chicks were too weak or maybe injured from fall and if they weren't acting healthy to the mom, she kicked them out of the nest? Maybe a cat had perfect timing and got them? They were too young to take off on their own. I go down that side yard a few times a day. The nest was still level. What are the chances this type of bird will reuse nest and try again, or will they make a new nest? How long before she lays another clutch? Thanks for any help, I'm soooo sad!
Deb

Book recommendation

Garrett Lau said:
There are actually three versions of Sibley's, but you only need one. I have The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America. There is also an Eastern field guide, and a big book (Sibley Guide to Birds) that has all the information from both of the field guides.

Thanks Garrett - I will check those books out. I appreciate it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back