• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what is this in flight Accipiter-- Ontario (1 Viewer)

Al Kat

Picture taken Feburary 13 2008 Just wondering if we can tell from this picture if the bird is Cooper's or Sharp-Shinned and reasons for your ID

Thanks for any help

Al Kat

Attachments

• Hawk 2585 R Untitled copy.jpg
    Hawk 2585 R Untitled copy.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 149
I'd say Cooper's because an adult Sharpie has a red eye and the bird in your picture has a yellow eye. anybody feel freee to correct me if im wrong

Al Kat would you say this bird was the size of a Blue Jay or a Crow? Blue Jay=sharpie ,Crow=coops.
To me this bird looks like a Coops because of the structure, the wings don't seem to project forward although the nape looks dark it is tough to tell. I believe all adult accipiters have red eyes.

Cooper's for me. The overall very heavily-built structure, far 'stronger' then a Sharpie would appear. As for the eye, juveniles show yellow eyes, which can sometimes linger on into the second year of life. So this bird is a second year (SY) Cooper's Hawk, most likely a female.

Al Kat would you say this bird was the size of a Blue Jay or a Crow? Blue Jay=sharpie ,Crow=coops.
To me this bird looks like a Coops because of the structure, the wings don't seem to project forward although the nape looks dark it is tough to tell. I believe all adult accipiters have red eyes.

From what I've read, the nape doesn't show much when in flight because the head is held up. Agree with cooper's hawk.

Scott

Looks like the votes are in and it will be a Cooper's on my records.Many thanks for the comments on the photo and the ID tips and links for me to look at

Al Kat

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back