• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this magnificent Raptor ? (1 Viewer)

Erik P

United States
Hi everyone, my name is Erik and I live in the north east corner of the state of Illinois just below the Wisconsin state line. The other day my wife pulled out her camera to get a two second recording of this incredible bird swooping in to grab an adult dead rabbit. The video is absolutely incredible, but I didn’t know if it would be able to be seen by everyone, so I just took a screenshot. I’m familiar with red tailed hawks in this area but this appears to be significantly larger with different markings. Can someone please tell me what we are looking at?

Attachments

• IMG_1114.jpeg
    IMG_1114.jpeg
    765.4 KB · Views: 22
Hi Erik and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I can't be of any assistance with the species, but I'm sure KC will be right.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I'd say immature Red-tailed Hawk. Red-shouldered should be more rufous overall, show stronger barring on the tail, and would be less likely to go after adult rabbits owing to its smaller size. Red-tailed Hawks are quite large and seeing them up close - especially a relatively pale individual like this one - can make them appear even larger.

Hi, Erik. Welcome to the forum, I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

I'd say immature Red-tailed Hawk. Red-shouldered should be more rufous overall, show stronger barring on the tail, and would be less likely to go after adult rabbits owing to its smaller size. Red-tailed Hawks are quite large and seeing them up close - especially a relatively pale individual like this one - can make them appear even larger.
Hmmm, interesting ! That makes sense. In the video it does appear to be absolutely huge. Over the years, I’ve taken many still photographs of red tailed hawks sitting in trees, usually at a distance of no less than 30 feet. You’re probably right. The video was taken at very close range because my wife was sitting in her car. The video was absolutely stunning. Thanks for your take on this Sangahyando. Logical reasoning based on visual evidence. Very cool !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back