• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is . . . (1 Viewer)

I think you need to be from the UK to truly be able to answer that :D But it has to do with a person that will stop what they are doing and run, bike, drive or crawl to a location where a bird has been sighted that they need for their current list. After spending 2 seconds identifying it, they go back home and continue watching the soccer match on tv... er, I mean watching their football match on the telly!.

Not fair. Only some do that. Judging from many discussions on the forum, many twitchers spend hours watching the bird in question. That being said, on the one day I spent twitching, I did witness a two minute twitch. A car stopped, two people got out and asked "is that it". We said "yes". They raised their bins, took a look, got back in their car, and left.

Scott

You will probably get some forceful opinions in reply to this question, but I'll have a go at a neutral definition. A twitcher is somebody who travels to see a particular bird for the purpose of adding it to their list.

cavan wood said:
Not fair. Only some do that. Judging from many discussions on the forum, many twitchers spend hours watching the bird in question.
I know :) Just being silly!

cavan wood said:
That being said, on the one day I spent twitching, I did witness a two minute twitch. A car stopped, two people got out and asked "is that it". We said "yes". They raised their bins, took a look, got back in their car, and left.
Those are the scavenger hunters I am talking about! Not that there's anything wrong with it......

To twitch a bird is to travel to a specific site to see a specific bird.

People who 'tick and run' are a very small minority, most birders will want to enjoy the bird they've made the effort to see. Normally when I twitch a bird it's a species I've not seen before, or have not seen often and therefore I want to take the opportunity to really 'watch' it. If a bird is fairly local I'll often twitch it more than once, purely so I can spend more time watchnig it and learning about the species.
When I twitched my first black-crowned night heron I spent over 4 hours watching it, and then came back the following day for another 2 hours.

HelenC said:
You will probably get some forceful opinions in reply to this question, but I'll have a go at a neutral definition. A twitcher is somebody who travels to see a particular bird for the purpose of adding it to their list.
Wow! That's very succinct!

Thanks all that responded to my sincere question. I have since read another thread about 'twitching' and did not realize, when I posted this thread, that this subject may be what is considered 'flame bait'. I did NOT post my question to cause a 'flame war' on the board. I truely did not know what the term meant. I had read a few posts with the word contained therein and was just curious as to the the meaning.

I have been interested in birds since early childhood and I am now of retirement age. I'm not someone who 'ticks'. My list is very, very short. However, I do go 'out in the field' to watch the Bald Eagle soar for hours on end.

TimeShadowed

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back