• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of hawk? (Backyard in Northern California) (1 Viewer)

Crow19

United States
From looking over my books I suspect this is a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. Or perhaps a Cooper's Hawk? It looked to be around the same size as a crow...maybe smaller but hard to say without direct comparison. Landed in my backyard and helped itself to some water. The other birds were making a LOT of noise. This was the first hawk I've seen in my yard.

Attachments

• DSC_1510 (2).JPG
    DSC_1510 (2).JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 48
  • DSC_1516 (2).JPG
    DSC_1516 (2).JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 49
I would say Cooper's Hawk if about the size of a Crow. The dark capped look would support that though my first reaction was the legs looked a bit thin for it.

I would say Cooper's Hawk if about the size of a Crow. The dark capped look would support that though my first reaction was the legs looked a bit thin for it.
One thing to keep in mind with regards to birds legs is that, in most species, they are kind of "flattened" - so look much thicker side on and thinner front on (as in these photos).

Agreed with others for Cooper's. The pronounced brow, giving it a "fierce" expression is another good field mark to rule out Sharp-shinned.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back