• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of Pipit? (UK, London) (1 Viewer)

JarJar

Hello everybody,

what kind of Pipit could this be? In my opinion it is a Water Pipit - could Rock Pipit also be possible?

Seen in Great Britain, London, London Wetland-Centre, 04. march 2019

Thanks a lot,
Christoph

Attachments

• IMG_9438.jpg
    IMG_9438.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_9439.jpg
    IMG_9439.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_9440.jpg
    IMG_9440.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 174
Hello everybody,

what kind of Pipit could this be? In my opinion it is a Water Pipit - could Rock Pipit also be possible?

Seen in Great Britain, London, London Wetland-Centre, 04. march 2019

Thanks a lot,
Christoph
Hi. Rock and water, are quite difficult to distinguish sometimes, but this one's got a brown and not a grey, tinge to its back, so I'll go for Water.

Hello,
thanks Andrew, Tom and Butty!
I was confident, this is a Water Pipit just by a quick look, but a closer one revealed:
  • an extensive dark boarder to the lower ear-coverts. This is the most important feature imo favouring Meadow Pipit
  • Legs could be ID friendlier paler and brighter. I see a darkish shine/overlay on my screen , but just within variation for a Meadow Pipit.
  • same with the streaked back with just visible tram-lines. Just within variation for a Water Pipit. Or just out of variation??? = on the borderline for this I think. But surely better for a Meadow Pipit.
  • At first I thought the rump is unstreaked clean, but this easily be explained by picture quality erasing details and wear. But please note, that the sides of the rump and the uppertail-coverts are regular the mostly/strongest streaked areas at the rump of a Meadow Pipit.
Still a hard bird for me, but yes, its a Meadow Pipit. Thanks one more!

The bill is too robust, the streaking is too course and there are no obvious buff tones for Meadow Pipit, with the underparts looking cold. Looks spot on for Water Pipit IMO. Water always gives me a redwing vibe with the head and bill patterns, which this bird does.

I'm seeing quite warm tones, a light bill with a touch of yellow, and elongated heavy flank streaks.

Funny, most literature concentrates on distinguishing WP from RP, rather than WP from MP. If this turns out to be Water Pipit, I'm going to have to look even harder at some of my local Mipits in suitable habitat!

Looking at the background in the photos the photos seem to be on the cooler side of white balance that I think is giving the bird more of a Water Pipit tone than it would have in life.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back