• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What model scope is this? (1 Viewer)

I can’t figure it out despite searching. It’s an old Kowa I purchased used because I need an inexpensive, lightweight scope to watch nesting birds. Since the nest doesn’t move, I don’t mind the extra time needed to set it up. But I might want to buy additional accessories like eyepieces and phone/camera adapters and need a model number to check compatibility. Unless this is so old that there are no accessories.

looks like it's a KOWA TS-8 as seen here

That looks a lot like my scope. Does anyone know if there are serial numbers? There’s no number on the focusing eyepiece, and the ring that retains the front lens is stamped TS-3•4•8. Kowa’s website is no help, the link to historic scopes no longer works.

Paddyluke, thank you for the hint. I think you are right. I found an Italian website with more details - looks like this scope is from 1979 and was also marketed as TS-M. I’ve also got an email to Kowa and maybe they will provide some information. I’ll attach the deets for anyone else searching, and move on to cleaning/repair…

IMG_5883.jpeg

I emailed Kowa and they responded the same day, which is marvelous customer support. They wrote “The model you have is the TS-8. It is a 50mm compact scope that was produced from 1979 – 1984.” They also confirmed that no current accessories work with it, so maybe I can find some vintage eye-pieces for it. Thanks everyone for all the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back