• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What should I use? (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

I have a Sterilite container where I will store ground bird feeders in. They are non-toxic and safe to store food in. It says on the website and customer service already confirmed this online and on the phone. It even has a number on the bottom of the container that means it's safe to store food in. I need to wash it to get rid of the smell. Dawn soap wasn't strong enough to get rid of it. I need something stronger but it has to be non-toxic and safe for all the birds. What can I use? I was told vinegar but that is toxic for birds according to what people have told me on bird forums so I don't feel safe using it. I need something 100% safe, just a soap. The ground bird feeders will be in non-toxic bags except the one with legs since it's too big to fit in bags. This one I will cover the top and bottom with bags held by rubber bands so they can't come off and the Sterilite container will have a lid and latch and will put it in my closet since I have no other place. I don't want to leave it outside because I read that polypropylene is dangerous to be left outside in the heat and it can release dangerous chemicals. This is why I have to put it in now before the summer starts so I will be buying a new one. This is it. Again, I need a soap that will be strong to get rid of the smell but 100% safe for birds.

Try not washing it, place it out of direct sunlight outside for a few days and see if the smells don’t dissipate. I’ve done this with a number of items.

Try not washing it, place it out of direct sunlight outside for a few days and see if the smells don’t dissipate. I’ve done this with a number of items.
sunlight=heat=releases toxic chemicals from the container only if it's heat.

Baking soda, or bicarbonate of soda removes smells from fridges, so that would be worth a try.

Lemons work too.

I just saw a video on youtube. I am going to be using Dawn Ultra Antibacterial Dishwashing liquid. It has an orange scent. I will leave it outside at night then put it in the closet. I just saw a video of a lady using this to wash bird feeders. I am not going to use bleach. I am against it.

Your initial post raises many questions in my befuddled old mind - i.e. what’s a non-toxic bag ? But I digress

Wash the item thoroughly in a strong bleach solution (or vinegar or etc.)
rinse well
wash with househol washing up liquid
rinse well
wash with dawn soap (whatever that is)
rinse well
store appropriately

It might be worth noting that manufacturers of plastic products are obliged, by law, to have various safety testing studies performed. If your boxes are relatively new, they should not release any toxic chemicals.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back