• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What grass seeds is safe for birds? (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

I bought my first bird feeding station in 2016. I decided to take it off now. I haven't used it for months now. During the fall and winter I used ground bird feeders instead. But this can only work during fall and winter when the grass isn't being cut. All the bird feeding station did was cause grass to disappear from all the raking the seeds which then the ground had to be covered with wheat straw instead. The problem is also the rain. The rain ruins everything. It only makes things more expensive and more work to do. I need to know which grass seeds are safe for birds because birds sometimes eat it so it should be non-toxic and what kind of soil is also safe to use? My dad said he will put some kind of net around that area so birds can't go in but not sure if he will really put it.

I bought my first bird feeding station in 2016. I decided to take it off now. I haven't used it for months now. During the fall and winter I used ground bird feeders instead. But this can only work during fall and winter when the grass isn't being cut. All the bird feeding station did was cause grass to disappear from all the raking the seeds which then the ground had to be covered with wheat straw instead. The problem is also the rain. The rain ruins everything. It only makes things more expensive and more work to do. I need to know which grass seeds are safe for birds because birds sometimes eat it so it should be non-toxic and what kind of soil is also safe to use? My dad said he will put some kind of net around that area so birds can't go in but not sure if he will really put it.
We use black oil sunflower seeds, and “songbird” seeds. We put feeders under the eaves of our porch and hang on shepherd hooks. We use feeders with squirrel- proof weights. We don’t take the seeds up at all. We planted ground cover under all the areas with feeders. The ground cover we used was Turk’s Cap. They have pretty red buds and the hummers love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back