• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear and Lark - Mauritania 31/10 (1 Viewer)

Jonny721

I've spent too much time looking at this Wheatear and managed to confuse myself! Initially thought Desert but now leaning towards Western Black-eared based on the structure and pale throat, but it doesn't feel particularly right for either. Also any indication as to the age/sex? Excuse the terrible record shots of the Lark but I am presuming they show enough to confirm it as Bar-tailed Lark? TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_8627.JPG
    IMG_8627.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8632.JPG
    IMG_8632.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8653.JPG
    IMG_8653.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8654.JPG
    IMG_8654.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 82
Why doesn't it fit for a desert wheatear?

Pale inner greater coverts, pale lesser coverts and the birds overall tone looks fine for a desert wheatear- autumn female I would assume.

Cheers guys, like I said I think I had just looked at it too long that I was going a bit ID-blind!

Any opinions on the Lark? I am thinking that the complete dark bar on the tail should confirm it as Bar-tailed, just wanting to make sure I'm not overlooking something else.

Hmm first impression on jizz and white throat (tail ambiguous when closed) is passage Black Eared. Interested in more photos & opinions. 🙂👍🐦🐦

Last edited:
The very pale sandy marginal coverts (paler than the mantle/scapulars) confirm this as a Desert Wheatear - as strongly suggested by the tail pattern too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back