• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear ID.. Salt Range, Punjab, Pakistan. (1 Viewer)

imranb

Pakistan
Hi, having trouble pinning down the wheatear species, most likely variable maybe pied but still doubts remain, from Salt Range Mountains, Punjab, Pakistan. (November 2019)
first 3 pics are same bird, fourth pic is same day same general location at different time.

Attachments

• Wheatear (1).jpg
    Wheatear (1).jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Wheatear (2).jpg
    Wheatear (2).jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Wheatear (3).jpg
    Wheatear (3).jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Wheatear.jpg
    Wheatear.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 66
This is always tricky, as variable is ...variable. Personally, I think the first three are Variable, although the third photo looks different from the first two. I think this just goes to show how lighting and camera settings can impact the end result.

Photo 4 seems more like a Pied.

It would be interesting to understand which ssp of Variable you have normally.

Personally, would say that they are all Variable. 4 has nowhere near enough contrast in the coverts for Pied at this time of year and, the pp does not appear long enough.

Grahame

Sadly, we can't read your mind. Calm down.
What was the need for that language? I'm really sick of your needling and insults in so many threads... Since your appearance here in the ID forum, my joy in reading, commenting and learning has suffered considerably. I'm sure I'm not alone! Could you please stop and focus on birds!?

To me it was very obvious that Grahame meant November with 'this time of the year' since it was mentioned in the OP.

To me it was very obvious
That's good for you then. But in fact it was ambiguous and it certainly wasn't obvious (such unremarkable, innocent and confusing mistakes about dates are made on almost a daily basis in this forum) - so I pointed it out, in case Grahame wasn't aware of it and in case the date affected his previous notes on the ID. His response to me was intemperate and unwarranted - not mine to him.
Could you calm down too please and focus on ID matters, and avoid the personal. Thanks.

That's good for you then. But in fact it was ambiguous and it certainly wasn't obvious (such unremarkable, innocent and confusing mistakes about dates are made on almost a daily basis in this forum) - so I pointed it out, in case Grahame wasn't aware of it and in case the date affected his previous notes on the ID. His response to me was intemperate and unwarranted - not mine to him.
Could you calm down too please and focus on ID matters, and avoid the personal. Thanks.
Sorry for being off-topic!

I really try to avoid to be personal, certainly more than you do. In fact I can't remember if I ever before was here at this space.

Just to clarify, I read your first comment as you intended it. Maybe one could read Grahame's reply as a bit unwarranted. But honestly (and sorry for being personal again), I'm not surprised that he used this tone, given the frequency of your inappropriate personal threads. Just take your reply (#6)... I really don't want to fight with you, I merely hope that you reflect the timbre of your posts a bit more in the future.

Thanks and back to ID...

I agree with Carery, Buttys frequent snarky attempts to show people how dumb they are and clever he is, detract from BF for me too. Constantly on the lookout for ways to correct people's perceived mistakes.
Why would you assume Grahame couldn't read the date?
I hope Grahame continues to contribute as he's one of the most knowledgeable posters we have and I learn a helluva lot from his posts.

Buttys frequent snarky attempts to show people how dumb they are
I recognise, Jogresh, that you have long had a personal issue with me that prevents you reading objectively anything that I write. You have a consistent habit of looking hard for every opportunity to attack me personally. Instead of making these repeated generalized personal and insulting attacks, could you please either: call out incidents individually so that I can actually address your concerns (there's really no response I can usefully make to your non-specific general insults); make a formal complaint; or just stop this.
Why would you assume Grahame couldn't read the date?
I didn't - please don't deliberately misrepresent what I've done. I have explained above what I've done, and why, and Carery has accepted that. If you nevertheless don't accept it yourself, please say specifically why you don't understand my explanation.
You give the appearance of bearing a long-held grudge and being unable to see past it. Please try to keep calm and to be objective - it makes for a quieter life. And stop your personal attacks.

This particular forum should be free from moderation, I am sorry to see the same old nonsense and holier than thou comments from the same
protagonist........'s

Please be respectful of peoples opinions and ID skills, and be prepared to hear different points of view.

This is the last time I'm going to ask, next time the BF travel agent will sort this out and arrange a holiday or two.

Thanks kindly and don't message me I'm out.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back