• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to bird in northeast Ohio in November??? (1 Viewer)

LindaCO

Hello all,
I'm going to see some family in Mentor over Thanksgiving and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to places to go birding in northeast Ohio at that time of the year. I know the weather is a big factor, but was looking for a couple of places to try.

Thanks so much!!
Linda

Doh!!! I don't check this section of BF very often. Sorry for the late response. In addition to the earlier link, I'd also look at this link, particularly the Interactive Map.

Normally there are regular field trips in this area but December usually has less with the Holidays and the Christmas Bird Counts.

You might also want to keep track of Ohio Birds.

You have a number of good options in the Mentor area.

Hi Runaround,
Thanks for the info. Sorry for this late reply, I forgot to check back after my last post (d'oh!). Hopefully the weather will be agreeable.

Best,
Linda

Linda,

The following link to the Ohio Ornithological Society has some very good write ups for various locations throughout Ohio. I have enclosed a link to the Eastlake Power Plant, because we have had some very cold weather this December, and the majority of the inland lakes are frozen over. The warm water around the powerplants, Eastlake included, are a concentration point for various gulls, waterfowl, etc. This winter there have been quite a few White Winged, and Surf Scoters on Lake Erie. I would bring a scope if you can if you want to hit any of the lake locations.

http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showsite.php?Site_ID=52

Link to the rest of the state.

http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/countymap.php

If you ever get here in the spring or fall, Conneaut harbor is an AMAZING place for shorebirds in Ohio, and not far from Mentor.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back