• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to see Helmeted Hornbill in 2023? (1 Viewer)

jurek

I plan a trip to south-east Asia again, and wanted to see one of my bogey birds. Where to see Helmeted Hornbill in 2023? I understand there are still relatively well protected and accessible reserves where it can be seen, save for the inherent shyness of this canopy bird. I was recommended the main entry area of Taman Negara in Malaysia and Belalong Canopy Walkway at Ulu Temburong in Brunei. Any insider or recent info?

I know it was hunted out in large areas as is considered sensitive, but I don't think that sharing information about well visited, accessible and locally well known nature reserves will do any harm to the species. Compare sharing info about White-taield Eagles on Skye in Britain In any case, you can PM me.

The obvious places: Taman Negara (maybe better the Northern access), Danum, Deramakot, Kinabatangan.
I would say it's a very easy bird to notice its presence as its call can be heard miles away, but it can be hard to see. That's why a place like Deramakot (with a road going through or Kinabatangan (from the river) could be easier to see one than from a forest trail in Danum or Taman Negara. There are also sites with more hilly terrain where fly-bys from a viewpoint can be easier than on flat terrain, but I haven't seen them in hilly terrain (e.g. around Fraser's hill), so I am not speaking from experience, only from pictures I saw.

Mine was heard to start vocalising, and a determined yomp got us to the clearing where it was perched before it finished. Just the one encounter during a two week trip (need to dig out notes for where it was; either Danum or Kinabatangan)

I got good views of a pair at Danum Valley Field Centre, Sabah in early November 2022 at a fruiting tree behind the camping area. I'm not sure if that tree fruits at the same time each year but I believe I heard it from that area on a couple days prior to my sighting as well so if the tree is fruiting, I'd imagine the chances there are good.

I’m not an expert on Asian birding but I’ve never heard it at Taman Negara (either entrance), but have seen it at Danum and heard it at Way Titias (Sumatra) though I wouldn’t rate your chances of seeing it at Way Titias.

My understanding is there's still a healthy population in Sabah. They're easy enough to hear at Frasers Hill & Bukit Tinggi but not so easy to see

Going back a bit now but we had fab views in Hala Bala in Thailand as they flew by late afternoons. Dunno if they're still there tho now, but it was a great reserve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back