• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where'd They Go? (1 Viewer)

mxyplx

United States
I live at the north end of the Sacramento Valley. No hummingbirds for 3 weeks. All gone. These are locals that stay all winter. What has happened? Did somebody kill em all?

Refilled the feeder 3 weeks ago - nothing. Refilled it last week in case I made a mistake - nope - no birds. I’ve been informed that in Sacramento the word is that non-hummers that have some affliction - don’t recall what- might perch on the hummer feeders and cause dire consequences to the hummers. Advice is to temporarily remove the feeders. Sac is 160 miles south of us.

The Allens are due to come thru soon from S.Calif to Oregon. The feeder hangs outside the kitchen window over the sink. We can always tell the Allens are here by the sound of their wings through the open window. Hope they get through without getting caught. I’m leaving the feeder up for the Allens. It’s been there for 39 years.

Got a couple back.

A few days ago I saw one make a feint at 2 of the flowers then move on. Something must be wrong. I cleaned out the feeder, soaked it in Clorox for 24 hours, soaked it in clear water for 24 hours & air dried it for 8 hours. Then filled it with sugar water using a nationally known popular brand instead of my usual choice bottom shelf Brand X. Sugar is sugar right? Evidently not. Also trimmed the bushes back to make a more open area around the feeder putting it in clear view from afar for incoming birdies and so users can keep a watchful eye for intruders. Viola!

I'm in Los Angeles, and I have a lot more Allen's/Rufous than usual for this time of year in my yard. Normally, by May, I mostly have the more mellow Anna's. But, this afternoon, 7 little orange guys were zipping around trying to control the territory.

Glad to hear you got some back up your way!

I live in Sierra Vista, Arizona and the San Francisco Bay Area, so when a buddy called me in CA asking about the dearth of hummers in southeast Arizona, I started making some calls. It's thought to be the drought conditions which have impacted the production of flowers. No food, no hummers.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back