• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Aythyas? Iran, Gilan, Nov. 2023 (1 Viewer)

Pedrambirder

Iran
Hi all,
It seems there are some species like Common Pochards, Ferruginous Ducks, Tufted Ducks and Coots.
Can you see something else in these shots?

Attachments

• IMG_20231120_174119.jpg
    IMG_20231120_174119.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20231120_174058.jpg
    IMG_20231120_174058.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20231120_174009.jpg
    IMG_20231120_174009.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20231120_173914.jpg
    IMG_20231120_173914.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 108
where do you think the ferruginous ducks are, pedrambirder?

I had a short look on a small screen, but found only tufted duck, common pochard and eurasian coot?
You are right, I saw it in the field but it's not present in these shots and I wrote it by mistake, thanks for mentioning it.

Great shots Pedram.👍 everything seems fine, although no Coot or Ferruginous Duck that I can see.

Cheers
Thank you,
Is there any species like a Greater Scaup in these shots?
I thought they are all Tufted, but one of my friends who was in company that day, was in doubt about it.
I haven't seen it before, so I have no idea how it looks in flight.

Thank you,
Is there any species like a Greater Scaup in these shots?
I thought they are all Tufted, but one of my friends who was in company that day, was in doubt about it.
I haven't seen it before, so I have no idea how it looks in flight.
It's very difficult to separate females or eclipsed male greater scaups from female tufted ducks in flight, not sure if its possible to be 100% from these shots. It appears that there is a gadwall in the top left of the image.

I’m surprised that no one has commented on the “high flying”Coots in Pedram’s shots?
As I could find no examples on the web, other than birds just “running on water” something I’ve never seen in 60 years birding!
I’ve always assumed that they are nocturnal fliers only.😮

I’m surprised that no one has commented on the “high flying”Coots in Pedram’s shots?
As I could find no examples on the web, other than birds just “running on water” something I’ve never seen in 60 years birding!
not everyday, but occasionally I saw this , for example coots crossing the sea,
so yes, not an everyday sight but not really unusual behaviour

Thanks for sharing your precious experience to us KenM,
I'm not sure if I got what you exactly meant, but I can expalin the field situation, it might be helpful.
There were about hundreds of Coots feeding on the water of wetland, as we noticed a group of Ducks who were feeding near them, started flying suddenly cause of the presence of a Western Marsh Harrier flying above them looking for it's breakfast.
The flocks of Coots didn't start to fly and kept feeding on water, but the ones who were feeding between Duck's group, were feared and started flying with Ducks.
And as Joern mentioned above, in migration season, I saw them flying over Caspian sea in day light, but rarely, so maybe you are right.

Thanks for sharing your precious experience to us KenM,
I'm not sure if I got what you exactly meant, but I can expalin the field situation, it might be helpful.
There were about hundreds of Coots feeding on the water of wetland, as we noticed a group of Ducks who were feeding near them, started flying suddenly cause of the presence of a Western Marsh Harrier flying above them looking for it's breakfast.
The flocks of Coots didn't start to fly and kept feeding on water, but the ones who were feeding between Duck's group, were feared and started flying with Ducks.
And as Joern mentioned above, in migration season, I saw them flying over Caspian sea in day light, but rarely, so maybe you are right.
Thanks Pedram for that information, many years ago “my patch” was the KGV reservoir group (NE London). Where I used to cover it almost daily for circa 10 years, certainly during the Winter months rafts of Coot were very much in evidence on the surface water.
On one occasion only!….I witnessed a single bird “fly” (with feet touching the water just a short distance) this was indeed a “momentous occasion” for me.😮….In those days 70’s-80’s there weren’t any raptors to worry about, unlike today, where they’re spoilt for choice.😮

Users who are viewing this thread

Back