• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binocular(s) control stray light best??? (4 Viewers)

Can't say which one is the best .....

But it definitely ain't the latest Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED !

Interestingly, that's also what the *supposedly* valueless Allbino's exit pupil photos show .....
http://www.allbinos.com/158-binoculars_review-Swift_Optics_820_ED_Audubon_8.5x44.html

In some cases the real view is very much correlated to the photographed view. When the exit pupil of the binocular is significantly larger than the user's exit pupil at the time (such as with 7mm EP's as ronh, and Hermann with the 8x56's said), then all bets are off and false exit pupils etc, fall harmlessly outside the pupil (unless you wear glasses where some of that will be reflected back to the oculars to cause strife). This is the plain english description of what dennis was trying to say ..... :eek!:

It is also not the Zen-Ray 8x43 ED3, though the Prime HD offers about ~50% improvement on this.

Chosun :gh:

Chosun,

I've just checked half a dozen roofs for those reflections. Four out of the six I'd call good to very good for stray light control in it's various forms. Another is below average with a little diffuse and occasionally troublesome veiling glare and hot spots. The last is poor in all regards, but perhaps understandable in a binocular costing less than £20.

I wish my camera would take the photos to show you, but It doesn't, so you'll have to take my word for it.

I'd guess only one out of the six would score 4 or 5 on the Allbinos rating three 2.5 and two 1.5. The below average pair was one of the 1.5s, the goods and very goods were 1.5 or 2.5 but it was that £20 bino I'd rate as the 4 or 5. For the half dozen I have I'd agree with Herman and say the eyepiece reflections patterns are absolutely no predictor of stray light performance.

David

David,

Interesting ..... I think the 'trick' is to look at the light in those photos that is actually 'on' the field stop. Once the eye approaches, or dilates beyond the EP diammeter, then the effects are visible (my pupils seem to reach 5mm just looking into the shadows quite readily - perhaps not quite such an issue for seniors :). I agree that normally, a lot of those photos that 'look' ugly, will actually perform well. Some of them are even deliberate design features to keep the EP clean. However for the ones lit up like Christmas trees, all that stray light bouncing around in there can't be good for things like contrast and faithful colour rendition. The Swift is a case in point - with the amount of shiny bracketry etc inside as I detailed in the thread, it's no wonder it readily goes to pot once the going gets tough! :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Chosun,

You may be right, but the left eyepiece looks a lot worse than the right by that criteria in the allbinos photos. I wonder if that had any correlation with the view? Perhaps it's just something to do with the camera distance instead?

David

Chosun,

You may be right, but the left eyepiece looks a lot worse than the right by that criteria in the allbinos photos. I wonder if that had any correlation with the view? Perhaps it's just something to do with the camera distance instead?

David

Something funny is going on with that right eyepiece photo. The thumbnail is clearly not the same binocular as the left, but click on it and what looks like the correct right eyepiece photo comes up.

Henry,
Thanks for figuring that out. I'd found it hard to believe that the two original shots were really the same binocular, it's kind or reassuring that they probably weren't.

David

The false exit pupils of an AK prismed Zeiss can be deliberately viewed with careful eye placement and direction, and will show weirdly inverted and rotated images in extremely off axis directions. OK, that's not very important...

Ron

For a member of the uninformed, would you explain what a "false exit pupil" is?

There is a picture of "false pupils" taken looking into the ocular lenses of a Zeiss 8x42 T* FL in the link below. Scroll down to "Internal Refections" to see them. These are what they look like in a binocular with Abbe-Konig roof prisms.

http://www.allbinos.com/238-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_8x42_T*_FL.html

I have the 7x42 version of this binocular and I can see them when I hold the binocular about a foot from my eyes and look at the oculars. I can't see them at all when I use the binocular.

Bob

Last edited:
There is a picture of "false pupils" taken looking into the ocular lenses of a Zeiss 8x42 T* FL in the link below. Scroll down to "Internal Refections" to see them. These are what they look like in a binocular with Abbe-Konig roof prisms.

http://www.allbinos.com/238-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_8x42_T*_FL.html

I have the 7x42 version of this binocular and I can see them when I hold the binocular about a foot from my eyes and look at the oculars. I can't see them at all when I use the binocular.

Bob

Thank you.
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back