• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binoculars for sports events such as horse races? (1 Viewer)

Canip

ASCOT ! Even royalty can't get their mouth shut, it seems ...

The Queen, modern, with image stabilized Canon binoculars (12x36?), high mag, relatively narrov FOV.

The King, conservative, with traditional Porro I binocular, looks like 6-8x 35mm (?)or similar, lower mag but likely somewhat wider FOV (?).

I for myself would use something like an APM 6x30, Kowa 6.5x32 (possibly even a Visionking 5x25) or something similar with a low mag and wide FOV. Older 7x35 Fujinon could also be great. PLUS I would wear the bino with the strap around my neck :)

What would you use at an event where frequent panning and rapid movements are the norm ?

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 15.26.16.jpg

My Leitz 7x35 B would do a great job at the horse races!

EDIT: this question is discussed before, it seems the pro‘s use(d) a Zeiss 15x60 on a tripod

Last edited:
Comparing just now my Canon 12x36 IS III with the picture, it does appear that's the model the Queen has in hand. Of some interest perhaps, it appears she is using an aftermarket strap with quick connect feature.

My pick would be the Kowa 6.5x32 to observe more of the field including any possible contender for a dramatic come - from - behind win.

Mike

My milkman and his son, who has an electrical degree but prefers being a milkman, both use 8-24x50 at about 14x to see the horses at the back of the track.

I gave the son a large stack of heavy, large format aircraft books and was amazed that he scooped them up from the floor in one go in one hand. Incredibly strong but slim and tall. It seems being a milkman ain't bad.

I have often asked if the binoculars still work and does he want more.
He says they work fine after about ten years now.
Cost £12 from Daily Mail.

15x50 Canon IS seem popular.

The mint Hensoldt 16x56 Nacht Dialyt that I got for £20 from the charity shop were I think used for horse racing.

The real punters with money at stake seem to use higher magnification and concentrate on the back of the track.

In movies, all sorts of binoculars are used, but the only low powers are the old field glasses in old movies.
I doubt that a VisionKing 5x25 would show enough detail.

I don't think I have been to a horse race, but maybe once to a greyhound race.

My S. African friend says his ancestors chased down ostriches on foot. It took about a day to catch them.

I think a human is also faster than a horse over a day or so.

Regards,
B.

My S. African friend says his ancestors chased down ostriches on foot. It took about a day to catch them.

I think a human is also faster than a horse over a day or so.
Without fur or feathers, we don’t have the overheating problem. My friend with Tarahumara heritage used to run with his horses and could keep going longer than they could due to overheating.

Without fur or feathers, we don’t have the overheating problem. My friend with Tarahumara heritage used to run with his horses and could keep going longer than they could due to overheating.
I've read once that man can outrun every animal over longer distances.

Considering the binos - a wide angle 8x30 might be nice for the occasion.

That’s what he always told me too. Now with binoculars we can even see further than they can!
Pronghorn have an amazing eyesight that is said to be like a human using 8 power binoculars. https://www.uwyo.edu/barnbackyard/_files/documents/magazine/2017/winter/0117antelope.pdf

They have a field of vision of 320 degs.

Also, they can run like hell. They could run a marathon in 45 minutes.

"Unlike cheetahs, however, pronghorn antelope are distance runners rather than sprinters, and can run 11 km in 10 min, an average speed of 65 km h" Running energetics in the pronghorn antelope - PubMed

Ask your friend if he can outrun them ;)

Last edited:
My friend relates how his colleague was chased by a lion and he leapt up to a high branch of a tree to escape.

Afterwards he tried on several occasions to reach the same branch and could not get near it.

Maybe we need these at the Olympics.

Regards,
B.

Post #14.

I think a cheetah was timed at maybe Walthamstow greyhound track at about 71mph rather than the 61mph given above.

I'll try to find this, although it was long ago.

Regards,
B.

Have you seen these dogs hunt, they can run for miles.
Still not as far as we could.

My friend relates how his colleague was chased by a lion and he leapt up to a high branch of a tree to escape.

Afterwards he tried on several occasions to reach the same branch and could not get near it.

Maybe we need these at the Olympics.

Regards,
B.
It’s amazing what one can accomplish when one’s ass is on the line

Users who are viewing this thread

Back