• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which camera for what I need it for (1 Viewer)

warren30

hi guys another question sorry,I am after a camera with nice zoom but want it to take decent pics too,I was thinking of the panasonic g3 etc or another compact system,guy in local camera shop said they have small zooms and haven't got big zoom lense out.he recommend one of the super zooms the new canon s40 I think £400 or the new fugi hs20,said was good for money.I've read some of the reviews on here and mag's.I want it for wildlife/bird photography and surfing shots with general use.he did say about a Dslr,I am not sure if it's to much to start of with straight away for a photograph beginner im not to sure about carrying few lenses around plus they are alot of money,but then again I don't want to spend £400 on a superzoom and then need a Dslr in future.I do like the canon review in the magazine last month and the pics look good

Hi Warren - I've had a few superzooms, Canon SX1IS, Fuji S8000fd and I'm now on a Fuji HS20 EXR.
The HS20 is a weird camera and after a few hours didn't like it at all - the viewfinder is terrible, the LCD only tilts towards you, the controls are difficult to use when the camera is pressed to your face and some are impossible.
However I persevered and also found some hints like don't use the 16mp mode only 8mp, don't use the auto EXR modes only presets you make, turn off noise reduction.
Being a manual zoom camera you can easily defeat the auto focus while taking movies but taking a still picture snaps the focus back.
It's a technical beast of a camera with high dynamic range, high clarity, low light modes and even dog recognition.

I tend to use the EXR presets I've made for high res, high dynamic range, low light high ISO and the advanced night mode.

Was on Bruce Taggarts Tamar cruise at the weekend and a Spoonbill was called flying over at a couple of hundred feet - got the camera out of the bag, turned it on and got four good record shots of it quite easily.

I have terrible problem with my pics leaning left but the HS20 has an on screen level line - very handy.

Now that I'm used to it I absolutely (nearly) love it - the 720 mm lens is really useable and I've got a 2.2 converter for it.

Nearly forgot - the LCD screen that only tilts towards you - on my Canon the screen articulates everywhere and I've never once used it - on the Fuji for some reason I do use it as it's easy to get at - when I've got the converter on I rest the camera on my bag and use the LCD.

Battery life is excellent from AA rechargeables, has front threads for filters, has a very cheap USB remote for BULB or avoiding shake.

Best of all it's pretty cheap - possibly because it is an enthusiasts camera.

I have a Nikon DSLR with a 500mm lens and would never ever go on a Tamar bird cruise with it - some do with even bigger lenses but I'm far happier with a small superzoom and a pair of bins hanging from my neck.

Warren,
I get the feeling you have no experience in taking bird photos. Based on that guess and the fact that even if you think it would be wonderful now, you may very well get a different idea later: I think you should go for a superzoom. I have for a long time been partial to Panasonic, and there is no doubt that the newest of these (FZ150) is much better than my old FZ18, but not quite as good as my GH2 w 100-300 mm lens (600 mm equivalent reach).

What about the argument about getting what you want now instead of when you really know you want it? I would not buy that, because: if you later decide you want to go the micro4/3 way they are almost certainly bound to come out with something better than the current offerings, or alternatively, the current offerings will by then be available cheaper than what it cost now.

cheers
Niels

Hi Warren, I am a Panasonic FZ150 user and use it almost exclusively for birds. I feel it is one of the best out there in that respect. Why do I think that? Well for starters, it has a great range of burst modes (very important) to get that shot you'll never get with slower rates or fewer pictures in the burst. It has an extra focus/zoom lever on the side of the lens barrel which helps you get shots, that you may miss when trying to adjust the zoom ring with the same finger that shoots the picture. It has lightning fast auto focus. That can never be too fast. It has a great zoom range 25-600mm, ok that's not as good as any of the others, but you can make up for that somewhat by using the extra optical zoom. If you want birds in flight you can't use all your zoom anyway, as your field of view is so small that it almost impossible to find and then keep them in the viewfinder. However if a really long zoom is the most important thing on your list then look at the others in this range of cameras.

thanks for all the advice guys and your right,I haven't a clue about photography (bird photography) at all.just want to spend wisely like you all said I will buy somefing then a new model comes out,I will check out the panasonic only seen the hs20 canon sx40 and nikon p500,
thanks chris I've heard lot of good reviews on the hs20 and it is cheaper,glad you are happy with it might have to check the forum for pics taken from it,how much is the tele converter on top then,does it give you just as good pics then without,I hear there is a spoonbill on tamar it's on one of my fishing marks so hoping get up there soon to see it.

thanks for all the advice guys and your right,I haven't a clue about photography (bird photography) at all.just want to spend wisely like you all said I will buy somefing then a new model comes out,I will check out the panasonic only seen the hs20 canon sx40 and nikon p500,
thanks chris I've heard lot of good reviews on the hs20 and it is cheaper,glad you are happy with it might have to check the forum for pics taken from it,how much is the tele converter on top then,does it give you just as good pics then without,I hear there is a spoonbill on tamar it's on one of my fishing marks so hoping get up there soon to see it.

The tele-converter was £170 but is not essential.
The Spoon bill appeared at Kingsmill lake and flew on to the Lyhner where it landed on the shore of Anthony House but later roosted on Rat Island - also seen from Whacker quay.
Camera - none of these new hyper bridge cameras are 'bad' you just have to pick one and either test it or trust reviewers.
I happen to have always liked Fuji and find the HS20 suits me - it might be a bit quirky but I'm getting shots with it that I surprise me.
I was in Plymouth recently shooting the Xmas entertainment at Royal Parade - mad Fair rides & Skating rink - the HS20 does low light extremely well.
I've still got the Canon and particularly like that for HD video.
I've still got a Nikon DSLR but that only gets out for Churches and New Years Eve with a huge flash.

The tele-converter was £170 but is not essential.
The Spoon bill appeared at Kingsmill lake and flew on to the Lyhner where it landed on the shore of Anthony House but later roosted on Rat Island - also seen from Whacker quay.
Camera - none of these new hyper bridge cameras are 'bad' you just have to pick one and either test it or trust reviewers.
I happen to have always liked Fuji and find the HS20 suits me - it might be a bit quirky but I'm getting shots with it that I surprise me.
I was in Plymouth recently shooting the Xmas entertainment at Royal Parade - mad Fair rides & Skating rink - the HS20 does low light extremely well.
I've still got the Canon and particularly like that for HD video.
I've still got a Nikon DSLR but that only gets out for Churches and New Years Eve with a huge flash.
thanks chris I will look into the hs20 it's getting a few good mentions even southwest optics recommend it, has it hd video as well can't remember,do you need the raw option on a camera,most images I will take will be far away be down hayle,stithians dam, marazion etc plus surf shots

I have not tried any of the newest superzooms, but I doubt any of them will save a raw image fast enough that I would actually want to use raw on it. I use raw on my m4/3 camera.

Niels

I have never used anything other than DSLR but have been considering a little superzoom as a lightweight option when I do not want to take the DSLR set-up. To this this end I have been following a few threads recently and have a question about focal lengths with the superzooms: is the figs quoted like 24-840mm equivalent the same as quoting a DSLR with the crop factor taken into consideration?
In other words if I put a 400mm lens on the 7D it has a FOV of 640mm (400 x 1.6) would this be the same reach as a superzoom that is quoted as 640mm at the long end?

I have never used anything other than DSLR but have been considering a little superzoom as a lightweight option when I do not want to take the DSLR set-up. To this this end I have been following a few threads recently and have a question about focal lengths with the superzooms: is the figs quoted like 24-840mm equivalent the same as quoting a DSLR with the crop factor taken into consideration?
In other words if I put a 400mm lens on the 7D it has a FOV of 640mm (400 x 1.6) would this be the same reach as a superzoom that is quoted as 640mm at the long end?

Yes, the quoted figure is the 35mm equivalent field of view.

For the original poster, the G-3 with a 100-300mm OIS zoom is a nice set-up for birding. It gives a 600mm equivalent FOV. The GH-2 may be better, but is also more expenxive.

Yes, the quoted figure is the 35mm equivalent field of view.

For the original poster, the G-3 with a 100-300mm OIS zoom is a nice set-up for birding. It gives a 600mm equivalent FOV. The GH-2 may be better, but is also more expenxive.
Thanks Jim. I assume from above that the G3 has a 2x crop factor due to the small sensor size.

Thanks Jim. I assume from above that the G3 has a 2x crop factor due to the small sensor size.

That is correct, G3 and other m4/3 cameras use the four-thirds size sensor which is 2x crop compared to the old 35mm film.

Niels

thanks guys now I'm getting somewhere,so the g3 has a 600mm zoom then with the lens that comes with it,will there be much difference in zoom between the g3 lens or canon/hs20 super zooms.
I gues the pic on the compact system cameras will be lot better.I did want a compact camera system,but guys in local shop said I'm better with a super zoom more distance the csc have no big zooms available yet what are the pro's and cons for both then superzoom and compact system camera then,

Warren, the G3, GH2 and other cameras in micro4/3 are not superzooms but instead are cameras with exchangeable lenses. The G3 most often will be sold with a 14-42 lens which with the 2x crop factor is equivalent to 28-82. If you want the reach to 600 eq then you would have to also add a 100-300 mm lens that will give you that reach.

Superzooms have a built in lens with a much wider zoom range. For that reason, they can never be as sharp as cameras with exchangeable lenses, but they do allow you to take good images in good light. In this section, the three I see mentioned most often are the Pana FZ150, the canon sx40, and the Fuji. This is the section of the market I would encourage you to look into.

A truly compact camera will not have as much zoom as a superzoom and are for that reason basically non-starters for bird photography.

I hope this helps a little on the confusion
Niels

Thanks nijarsen I understand, I knew the micro cameras came with small lenses,got told couldn't buy anyfing on Market yet that would reach the superzoom range of distance,I would purchase one and buy another lens if had zoom like the fuji panasonic etc.I will look in to the superzooms still then

Warren why not look out for a discontinued digital SLR such as one of the earlier Canon EOS models. Any of their bodies will usually have better features than even a modern super-zoom. It's the lens where you want to spend most money on, and again look out for discontinued or 2nd hand.

Warren why not look out for a discontinued digital SLR such as one of the earlier Canon EOS models. Any of their bodies will usually have better features than even a modern super-zoom. It's the lens where you want to spend most money on, and again look out for discontinued or 2nd hand.

hi geoff I aren't to sure about having a big camera,that's the only reason I haven't looked properly into a Dslr always wanted one over the years just size puts me off
I looked at the panasonic tz48 today that looked nice,the women in shop uses the tz45 showed me some pics they looked great for a superzoom

Hmmm, no matter where I search I cannot find a TZ48. However, one question for you: does that camera have a viewfinder? If not, it would be a non-starter as a birding camera for me (looking at the LCD on the back with the strong zoom necessary for bird photos is too slow and difficult in my experience).

Niels

Hmmm, no matter where I search I cannot find a TZ48. However, one question for you: does that camera have a viewfinder? If not, it would be a non-starter as a birding camera for me (looking at the LCD on the back with the strong zoom necessary for bird photos is too slow and difficult in my experience).

Niels

hi Niels I am pretty sure it had a viewfinder on the back I know I didn't pull it out,it looked great camera the pics in the shop on view were great,they are selling it for £330 with card and bag at moment,I will go in after Xmas and try it better and try the new canon sx40 36xzoom the tz48 has 24x.I can't get hold of a canon yet to look at,which one is better

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back