• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Chiffchaff? Gran Canaria (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

Two different birds 20 miles apart in southern coastal Gran Canaria, Canary Islands in mid March this year. Can anyone tell that they are Canary Islands Chiffchaffs before I start trying to work out how to post bits of the original video with vocals?

Attachments

• Chiffchaff, Canary Islands 'canariensis'(1).jpg
    Chiffchaff, Canary Islands 'canariensis'(1).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Chiffchaff, Canary Islands 'canariensis'(2).jpg
    Chiffchaff, Canary Islands 'canariensis'(2).jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Chiffchaff, Canary Islands 'canariensis'(3).jpg
    Chiffchaff, Canary Islands 'canariensis'(3).jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Chiffchaff, Canary Islands 'canariensis'(4).jpg
    Chiffchaff, Canary Islands 'canariensis'(4).jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 123
If it was singing but not what you would expect to hear from a Chiffchaff in the UK but something louder (and, even, more explosive) then it should be C.I. Chiffchaff.

Interesting comment from marcofioratti. Does that mean the second bird is common old Common Chiffchaff or Iberian? I have made a 8 sec video clip from the original to provide vocal id but don't know how to upload it here! Anyone help?

Last edited:
The second bird is a CIC too: note the tiny primary projection and corresponding long tailed apperance, longish bill, brownish rather than greenish plumage.

Tib78, you make very interesting points and in all likelihood you are right. It's just that I have never seen that prominent yellowish tinge on a Canary Island Chiffchaff, particularly on the bill. It might be due to some sort of photographic artifact, though. It might be interesting to hear the recordings in any case. Never tried to upload videos, so I can't help. Is YouTube a possibility?

Tib78, you make very interesting points and in all likelihood you are right. It's just that I have never seen that prominent yellowish tinge on a Canary Island Chiffchaff, particularly on the bill. It might be due to some sort of photographic artifact, though. It might be interesting to hear the recordings in any case. Never tried to upload videos, so I can't help. Is YouTube a possibility?

Well I won't claim to be an expert on the subject, Marco, since I added CIC to my list not even a month ago ;).
Yet, here a (singing) CIC I photographed and recorded on Tenerife during this recent trip. The bill pattern looks rather similar to the originally posted bird. I also attached a sample of its song, just in case...

Attachments

• LS_34427 CIC birdforum.mp3
    549 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5788.jpg
    IMG_5788.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5776.jpg
    IMG_5776.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back