• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which fish species attracting Streaked Shearwater? (1 Viewer)

ERH

In December off the coast of Northern Territory Australia I observed a large number of Streaked Shearwaters among a lot of fish which often leap high out of the water as in the photos. The fish were probably on average around 18inches long or more so clearly the birds were feeding on the bait fish that attracted the larger species. Can anyone id the fish in this picture so that I can complete my log? Also - a big ask I know - perhaps some of our Australian angling friends might even guess at the baitfish species.

Attachments

• 0405 fish.jpg
    0405 fish.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 0410 Streaked Shearwater fish.jpg
    0410 Streaked Shearwater fish.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 135
If I'm reading the picture right than I see long dorsal and anal fins, greenish-blue colour, elongated shape - kinda reminds me Common Dolphinfish (Coryphaena hippurus) or something similar. The forehead is not that steep/bulging and 'm not an fish expert though ;)

The first picture to me looks like what the above poster said, a small Dorado/Dolphinfish/Mahi Mahi. We call them chicken dolphin in the US (when they are small like that). They do jump a lot too. The second picture looks like bonito type fish to me, or some other small member of the tuna family, like skipjack tuna etc.
Just my opinion.

There is another type of dorado called a pompano dolphin too, which is smaller and has a less sloped head I believe.

Last edited:
The first picture to me looks like what the above poster said, a small Dorado/Dolphinfish/Mahi Mahi. We call them chicken dolphin in the US (when they are small like that). They do jump a lot too. The second picture looks like bonito type fish to me, or some other small member of the tuna family, like skipjack tuna etc.
Just my opinion.

There is another type of dorado called a pompano dolphin too, which is smaller and has a less sloped head I believe.

I'd second this, definitely not a member of the jack family. The tail is similar to a trevally but the body shape is too long. I'd go with pompano Dolphin. And as for the second pic it is most likely a bonito, skipjack, little tunny, or another small member of the Tuna family.

Look forward to your friend's opinion - maybe I should post the thread on an Oz angling site! At the time the Streaked Shearwaters were fantastic to watch as they fed voraciously -I wish I had taken more notice [and photos] of the fish.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back