• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Gulls? Iran, Hormozgan, Feb. 2023 (2 Viewers)

Pedrambirder

Iran
Hi all,
All of these birds are Lesser Black-backed Gulls?

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_120830.jpg
    IMG_20240215_120830.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20240215_120804.jpg
    IMG_20240215_120804.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • DSCN0967.JPG
    DSCN0967.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 35
Hi. I'm no gull expert, but pic 2, the gull on the right, looks like a 1st winter, Caspian - diamond shaped dark markings on the scapulars, as for the others, I'm sure the experts will be along soon.

Based on location, the default species should be Steppe.

Confusingly enough, Steppe is a part of the Lesser Black backed complex even though it looks like one of Herring/Caspian super species.

Without a flight shot, I would struggle to separate Caspian from Steppe, although I find it difficult to argue against Harrybongo.

As said, separation of cachinnans from barabensis in first cycle is difficult to say the least. Both have the upright stance, both have an extensive postjuvenile moult with many coverts replaced. I think all these are Steppe Gulls, although the adult (and subadult) types have pinkish legs (which would be unusual for adult barabensis). It still is not clear to which extent barabensis hybridizes with cachinnans in northern Kazakhstan which makes it even harder. Adults can be identified fairly easy on primary pattern if seen well. Maybe these are Kazakh birds which resemble more Caspian Gulls.

Based on location, the default species should be Steppe.

Confusingly enough, Steppe is a part of the Lesser Black backed complex even though it looks like one of Herring/Caspian super species.

Without a flight shot, I would struggle to separate Caspian from Steppe, although I find it difficult to argue against Harrybongo.
Thank you.

As said, separation of cachinnans from barabensis in first cycle is difficult to say the least. Both have the upright stance, both have an extensive postjuvenile moult with many coverts replaced. I think all these are Steppe Gulls, although the adult (and subadult) types have pinkish legs (which would be unusual for adult barabensis). It still is not clear to which extent barabensis hybridizes with cachinnans in northern Kazakhstan which makes it even harder. Adults can be identified fairly easy on primary pattern if seen well. Maybe these are Kazakh birds which resemble more Caspian Gulls.
Thank you for good details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back