• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which monocular as a substitute for binoculars...? (3 Viewers)

I'm blind in my left eye but still prefer to use binoculars as I can hold them better than a monocular.
I'd agree, binoculars definitely have the edge, in terms of stability, due to them having two points of contact.

That said, I'm amazed how 'easy' I'm finding the view through my monocular, I've genuinely surprised myself, in terms of stability after a period of learning.

The Opticron DBA VHD+ monoculars retail in the region of £300.

But, my reason for purchasing was to experience a type of optic I've not owned/used before, because I only have one eye in working order (just for the time being, hopefully!). I'm simply using my temporary disability as an opportunity.

Make no mistake, I would not recommend a monocular as an alternative to a binocular. A monocular is a compromise. Apart from being half the size and weight of an equivalent binocular, making it lighter and more portable, the view is not as relaxed or enjoyable as the view through an equivalent binocular (there's a reason why monoculars are not so abundant on the market, they're a compromise and quite niche).

And, take my experience of the three monoculars I've tried and tested with a pinch of salt. The one I'm keeping is the only one of the three which fitted me straight out of the box. The other two didn't, although with a little time (and o-rings) the 8x42 DBA VHD+ would have been just as comfortable and as much of a joy to use as the 10x42, for sure. The problem was me, not the monocular. The experiences of others with the same three monoculars will be individual to them, and inevitably different to my own, unless by coincidence.

There are other monoculars out there, different designs and with different types/location of focus wheel. I auditioned just three, based purely on my uneducated perception of what I was looking for, what I thought I might prefer, and recommendations from other forum members.

The most important rule to follow (if you can) when purchasing optics, is try before you buy, spend as much time as you can testing the instrument in as diverse conditions/situations as possible, and compare them side by side with other brands/models. Use spec sheets and opinions of others as a guide, but make the final decision based on your own hands on experience.

James

I decided to try out a DBA VHD+ 10x42 monocular, and compare it with my DBA VHD+ 8x42 monocular, as I always thought the lower mag. was preferable due to shaking (though I can now hold a monocular as steady as a binocular, perhaps even more steady). The main difference I noticed is that the focusing is super smooth on the 10x42, and not stiff at all like my 8x42 is. This makes focusing much easier, as the monocular tends to wobble when focusing. The other difference I noticed, is that the extra magnification seems to offset the loss of detail due to only using one eye, it feels, detail wise, like an 8x42 binocular.

I'm going to try to carry the DBA VHD+ 10x42 monocular as a companion to my Kowa YFII 6x30, as the two would seem to complement each other rather well. The steadiness of the Kowa YFII 6x30 allows it to use it's high detail optics to their fullest (I can see as much in these as I can in a high quality 8x32) and has a very deep depth of field, while the DBA VHD+ 10x42 monocular would give that extra reach when required, but keep the extra optics small and light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back