• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which monocular as a substitute for binoculars...? (3 Viewers)

If you need to use a Monocular ….. the only Alpha 42mm on the planet comes from Opticron, the DBA VHD series. The easiest to use and the sharpest, built like a Tank that you can buy.
That was my perception when I started this thread, from what I'd read online, but with zero knowledge of monoculars, thought it prudent to check with those with a far broader knowledge of optics than myself, before pressing the button.

Opinions/suggestions have been really quite diverse. The most sensible/logical option is to simply use my binoculars one eyed, but I find the monocular solution as a temporary option while my eyesight recovers and settles in the coming weeks and months, to be neat, and a chance to experience a type of optic I've not used before.

Bentley 03, post 19,
After a quick measurement of the eyerelief of the Glanz 7x40 I found a value of around 12 mm.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs, thank you very much for taking the trouble to check that for me, I appreciate it!

Sadly, I think that's going to be just slightly insufficient for me, because I wear glasses when viewing.

I think I'm close to going ahead with the Opticron monocular referenced earlier in the thread, probably the 8x42 rather than the 10x42.

James

Gijs, thank you very much for taking the trouble to check that for me, I appreciate it!

Sadly, I think that's going to be just slightly insufficient for me, because I wear glasses when viewing.

I think I'm close to going ahead with the Opticron monocular referenced earlier in the thread, probably the 8x42 rather than the 10x42.

James
The Opticron 8x42 has 22mm of eye relief , plus with its large ocular lens making it very user friendly.

The Beechers Mirage 7x30 moncular and other magnifications are available without VAT if prescribed by an optician.

It may be that an eye doctor can supply these free on the NHS, but I don't know.

There are other vision aids also by other makers. Such as Eschenbach and Speedwell I think.

Some are Galilean.

The Beechers Mirage have mirrors instead of prisms and are worn like eye glasses.
Also available as binoculars.
There are reports that the mirrors tarnish over time, but for now they should be O.K.
So I wouldn't buy them secondhand.

Regards,
B.

Those eye problems don't sound like much fun at all - I hope they recover well.

I've had the second tier opticron 10x42, now badged explorer WA Ed r and the imagic i.s monocular with the zoom eye piece.

Firstly the explorer 10x42. I've used it for probably 7/8 year now. Its what I have in my work van but also when I go bike touring. Stability wise it's not actually much different to a 10x bino but you do need to get used to different techniques for holding it - the biggest problem I have is actually focusing whilst following birds - I think the models with a separate focus wheel like the hawk marines are probably better in that regard. Optically it's not half bad, I got to a reserve last summer with some friends and rented out some binoculars as we only had my monocular with us and I was much happier using the monocular than the rented bins.

I would think magnification wise i would probably go for a 7 or 8x - I have the 10x as I don't have a scope with me when I carry the mono so like the extra reach.

On the imagic i.s mono. It's a strange device - brilliant in theory - lacklustre in practice. Mine had the zoom eye piece, I think it ranged from 8x to 25x or similar. The i.s works quite well up to 15x but then struggles a little after that. The basic optics are ok but not great. Build quality is plasticky, not waterproof, focuser was a rough feeling plastic on plastic objective twisting job - not nice or precise. Is it better than a regular monocular - probably yes, in the same way as most i.s binoculars are better than non image stabilized binoculars but I would stay away from the zoom eye pieces.

Will

Those eye problems don't sound like much fun at all - I hope they recover well.

I've had the second tier opticron 10x42, now badged explorer WA Ed r and the imagic i.s monocular with the zoom eye piece.

Firstly the explorer 10x42. I've used it for probably 7/8 year now. Its what I have in my work van but also when I go bike touring. Stability wise it's not actually much different to a 10x bino but you do need to get used to different techniques for holding it - the biggest problem I have is actually focusing whilst following birds - I think the models with a separate focus wheel like the hawk marines are probably better in that regard. Optically it's not half bad, I got to a reserve last summer with some friends and rented out some binoculars as we only had my monocular with us and I was much happier using the monocular than the rented bins.

I would think magnification wise i would probably go for a 7 or 8x - I have the 10x as I don't have a scope with me when I carry the mono so like the extra reach.

On the imagic i.s mono. It's a strange device - brilliant in theory - lacklustre in practice. Mine had the zoom eye piece, I think it ranged from 8x to 25x or similar. The i.s works quite well up to 15x but then struggles a little after that. The basic optics are ok but not great. Build quality is plasticky, not waterproof, focuser was a rough feeling plastic on plastic objective twisting job - not nice or precise. Is it better than a regular monocular - probably yes, in the same way as most i.s binoculars are better than non image stabilized binoculars but I would stay away from the zoom eye pieces.

Will
Will, that's terrific info, thank you very much, you've just cost me an additional £300!!!

I put the 8x42 Opticron on order earlier and will add the 10x42, based entirely on your observation (no pun intended) that the 10x is not much different, in terms of stability, to a 10x binocular. I have no issues whatsoever with 10x bins, so...

I think I was just looking for a bit of reassurance regarding a 10x monocular. I'll get used to it, no problem...I thoroughly enjoy working out the optimal hold/grip for an optic.

Thanks again Will,
James

Let us know how you get on. I don't find monoculars much of a joy to use but as a tool they can be very useful.
I will, for sure. And if you ever find yourself in the unfortunate position of having only one eye in full working order, I can assure you, the prospect of a decent quality monocular will be as mouthwatering a prospect as any £2,000+ alpha binocular with two eyes! 😉

Last edited:
The Beechers Mirage 7x30 moncular and other magnifications are available without VAT if prescribed by an optician.

It may be that an eye doctor can supply these free on the NHS, but I don't know.

There are other vision aids also by other makers. Such as Eschenbach and Speedwell I think.

Some are Galilean.

The Beechers Mirage have mirrors instead of prisms and are worn like eye glasses.
Also available as binoculars.
There are reports that the mirrors tarnish over time, but for now they should be O.K.
So I wouldn't buy them secondhand.

Regards,
B.
Would you buy Nikon binoculars second hand?

Lisa

Yes, Lisa.

If the binocular is very clean inside. Use a torch to look into the front and also use a lamp behind the eyepieces.

If there is any sign of fungus or moisture inside just don't buy it.

Also both images should be well aligned.

For birdwatchers waterproof binoculars are preferred.

For astronomers this isn't important with a new binocular.
I have no problem buying Nikon Action VII or Aculon binoculars at £100 new.
7x35, 8x42, 10x50, 12x50.

Folks here talk about astronomy binoculars costing £1,000 or more.
This is a birdwatchers idea of astronomy binoculars.

Most visual astronomers in the U.K. use binoculars that cost around £100, sometimes less. But they understand optics.
Except if they use stabilised binoculars, which are about £400 plus.
It is very rare for an active visual astronomer in the U.K. to buy a £1,000 binocular.

A £1,000 telescope. Sure.
£10,000 telescope and mount also.

Regards,
B.

Yes, Lisa.

If the binocular is very clean inside. Use a torch to look into the front and also use a lamp behind the eyepieces.

If there is any sign of fungus or moisture inside just don't buy it.

Also both images should be well aligned.

For birdwatchers waterproof binoculars are preferred.

For astronomers this isn't important with a new binocular.
I have no problem buying Nikon Action VII or Aculon binoculars at £100 new.
7x35, 8x42, 10x50, 12x50.

Folks here talk about astronomy binoculars costing £1,000 or more.
This is a birdwatchers idea of astronomy binoculars.

Most visual astronomers in the U.K. use binoculars that cost around £100, sometimes less. But they understand optics.
Except if they use stabilised binoculars, which are about £400 plus.
It is very rare for an active visual astronomer in the U.K. to buy a £1,000 binocular.

A £1,000 telescope. Sure.
£10,000 telescope and mount also.

Regards,
B.
I don't think I'm ready for full astronomy or telescopes just yet! £10,000 yikes. What Nikon binoculars would you recommend?

Lisa

You will have to ask the birdwatchers.

Do you wear glasses with binoculars?

I suppose new you will have to go to £200.

There is London Camera Exchange in Gloucester and elsewhere and Ace Optics, Bath. Also Sherwood Photo.

These have new and secondhand binoculars and are reliable.

Regards,
B.

You will have to ask the birdwatchers.

Do you wear glasses with binoculars?

I suppose new you will have to go to £200.

There is London Camera Exchange in Gloucester and elsewhere and Ace Optics, Bath. Also Sherwood Photo.

These have new and secondhand binoculars and are reliable.

Regards,
B.
Thanks Binastro I will visit that, I think my neighbour has mentioned it before. Hopefully they have some Nikon ones. I've followed you btw, feel free to follow back.

Lisa

So, the past 24 hours has been a tale of three monoculars...

First to be delivered was the 8x42 Opticron DBA VHD+. Oodles of eye relief, Japanese build and top notch optics, immediately impressing in terms of perceived quality. On paper, I anticipated that this might be my monocular holy grail, in terms of ease of use and ease of view. In reality, I struggled a bit, unable to fine tune eye relief to enable me to use the monocular comfortably resting on the frame of my glasses. With the eyecup all the way down, I was getting a very nervous shadowy field of view, and set at the first click stop, I needed to push the monocular hard against my glasses to see the full field of view, which made my glasses very unstable (works with binoculars but not a monocular). Thoughts turned to my box of o-rings...

Next to be delivered was the 10x42 version of the same monocular. Having struggled with the 8x42, I was prepared for disappointment, but what a contrast it turned out to be. An absolutely perfect fit, full uncorrupted field of view, and so easy to hold steady for a shake free view. Stunning, absolutely stunning, and with just a little practice after working out the optimal grip, a joy to use with an easy and relaxed view. @Will - following birds on the wing with this optic I've found relatively straightforward, have followed several of the local red kites during the course of the day. Smaller, faster closer birds will be more of a challenge, of course.

I switched back and forth between the 8x and 10x over a 3-4 hour period and felt no justification for keeping the 8x, especially as it holds such a small advantage over the 10x in terms of FOV. So, despite my original intention being to keep the 8x42, it has been returned.

But, I felt an 8x with a wider FOV would be a useful partner for the 10x42, so ordered the 8x32 Explorer WA ED-R monocular. Generous FOV (136 compared to 122 for the 8x42 DBA VHD+).

On arrival, the 8x32 looked and felt good quality, and I liked that it had a rainguard with a loop, which could be attached to the strap (unlike the DBA VHD+ which just have a very simple protective cap with no loop). In practice, however, it fell way short of the standard of the DBA VHD+. Painfully slow focus (which on the copy I received was not stiff, as reported elsewhere), the optics very obviously inferior, but most irritating of all was the amount of usable eye relief. Quoted at 18mm (1mm more than the 10x42 DBA VHD+), I couldn't see the full FOV, even pressing the monocular hard against the frame of my glasses. So, this monocular has also been reboxed and returned.

Very early days, but so far I'm absolutely delighted with the 10x42 DBA VHD+, and equally surprised that the two 8x didn't fit me at all, it was the 10x I was a little apprehensive about.

Many thanks again for all the helpful advice!
James

So, the past 24 hours has been a tale of three monoculars...

First to be delivered was the 8x42 Opticron DBA VHD+. Oodles of eye relief, Japanese build and top notch optics, immediately impressing in terms of perceived quality. On paper, I anticipated that this might be my monocular holy grail, in terms of ease of use and ease of view. In reality, I struggled a bit, unable to fine tune eye relief to enable me to use the monocular comfortably resting on the frame of my glasses. With the eyecup all the way down, I was getting a very nervous shadowy field of view, and set at the first click stop, I needed to push the monocular hard against my glasses to see the full field of view, which made my glasses very unstable (works with binoculars but not a monocular). Thoughts turned to my box of o-rings...

Next to be delivered was the 10x42 version of the same monocular. Having struggled with the 8x42, I was prepared for disappointment, but what a contrast it turned out to be. An absolutely perfect fit, full uncorrupted field of view, and so easy to hold steady for a shake free view. Stunning, absolutely stunning, and with just a little practice after working out the optimal grip, a joy to use with an easy and relaxed view. @Will - following birds on the wing with this optic I've found relatively straightforward, have followed several of the local red kites during the course of the day. Smaller, faster closer birds will be more of a challenge, of course.

I switched back and forth between the 8x and 10x over a 3-4 hour period and felt no justification for keeping the 8x, especially as it holds such a small advantage over the 10x in terms of FOV. So, despite my original intention being to keep the 8x42, it has been returned.

But, I felt an 8x with a wider FOV would be a useful partner for the 10x42, so ordered the 8x32 Explorer WA ED-R monocular. Generous FOV (136 compared to 122 for the 8x42 DBA VHD+).

On arrival, the 8x32 looked and felt good quality, and I liked that it had a rainguard with a loop, which could be attached to the strap (unlike the DBA VHD+ which just have a very simple protective cap with no loop). In practice, however, it fell way short of the standard of the DBA VHD+. Painfully slow focus (which on the copy I received was not stiff, as reported elsewhere), the optics very obviously inferior, but most irritating of all was the amount of usable eye relief. Quoted at 18mm (1mm more than the 10x42 DBA VHD+), I couldn't see the full FOV, even pressing the monocular hard against the frame of my glasses. So, this monocular has also been reboxed and returned.

Very early days, but so far I'm absolutely delighted with the 10x42 DBA VHD+, and equally surprised that the two 8x didn't fit me at all, it was the 10x I was a little apprehensive about.

Many thanks again for all the helpful advice!
James
Hello James, how much was the 10x42 DBA VHD+ you're happy with?

Lisa

Hello James, how much was the 10x42 DBA VHD+ you're happy with?

Lisa
The Opticron DBA VHD+ monoculars retail in the region of £300.

But, my reason for purchasing was to experience a type of optic I've not owned/used before, because I only have one eye in working order (just for the time being, hopefully!). I'm simply using my temporary disability as an opportunity.

Make no mistake, I would not recommend a monocular as an alternative to a binocular. A monocular is a compromise. Apart from being half the size and weight of an equivalent binocular, making it lighter and more portable, the view is not as relaxed or enjoyable as the view through an equivalent binocular (there's a reason why monoculars are not so abundant on the market, they're a compromise and quite niche).

And, take my experience of the three monoculars I've tried and tested with a pinch of salt. The one I'm keeping is the only one of the three which fitted me straight out of the box. The other two didn't, although with a little time (and o-rings) the 8x42 DBA VHD+ would have been just as comfortable and as much of a joy to use as the 10x42, for sure. The problem was me, not the monocular. The experiences of others with the same three monoculars will be individual to them, and inevitably different to my own, unless by coincidence.

There are other monoculars out there, different designs and with different types/location of focus wheel. I auditioned just three, based purely on my uneducated perception of what I was looking for, what I thought I might prefer, and recommendations from other forum members.

The most important rule to follow (if you can) when purchasing optics, is try before you buy, spend as much time as you can testing the instrument in as diverse conditions/situations as possible, and compare them side by side with other brands/models. Use spec sheets and opinions of others as a guide, but make the final decision based on your own hands on experience.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back