• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which scope to choose? (3 Viewers)

Alphan, I would buy this scope again! I have a Orion 100ED with the single speed Crayford focuser and like it a lot and I have been using this scope on the same mount as the picture I posted on this thread. I have this on my back porch and don't really go far with it, I have used the 80ED and it is much more portable. I bought the 100ED for Astro use and found I like to play around during the daytime. The smaller 80ED works better with that mount.
Regards, Steve

Last edited:
Check out the latest Scope Reviews completed June 2010 by the Magazine Birder World...not sure if this is online or not.

I realize you are going for a astroscope....of the ones you wanted Celestron Regal 100-F-Ed as the best for an astroscope. it was rated 3.2 for an overall score. The TeleVue's were below that with an overall rating of 2.9.

Now I know you can get excellent results from these....I don't have one so don't know how to use them but I can see by images on this site....you can get super fotos. But, according to this review, the top rated scope garnishing 4.6 is the Swarovski ATM 80HD followed by the Kowa TSN--883 at 4.5.

I have the categories etc....so I know how they rated them. Again, not sure how much of a difference those scores mean, if you know how to use (or not use) the scope and camera. You have to have the skill to begin with to amount to any quality image digiscoping....

Alphan, I would buy this scope again! I have a Orion 100ED with the single speed Crayford focuser and like it a lot and I have been using this scope on the same mount as the picture I posted on this thread. I have this on my back porch and don't really go far with it, I have used the 80ED and it is much more portable. I bought the 100ED for Astro use and found I like to play around during the daytime. The smaller 80ED works better with that mount.
Regards, Steve

Mooreorless, that Orion would be costly and no way am I buying one of that for shooting birds, God knows where I will be shooting from. For Astrology ....I don't know. Haven't got a clue yet about Astrology, but hopefully, when my scope arrives, I will catch that bug too. Then my scope will be good both day and night. I did heard somewhere, that it's better to view Mars with the smaller scope. Any logic?

Check out the latest Scope Reviews completed June 2010 by the Magazine Birder World...not sure if this is online or not.

I realize you are going for a astroscope....of the ones you wanted Celestron Regal 100-F-Ed as the best for an astroscope. it was rated 3.2 for an overall score. The TeleVue's were below that with an overall rating of 2.9.

Now I know you can get excellent results from these....I don't have one so don't know how to use them but I can see by images on this site....you can get super fotos. But, according to this review, the top rated scope garnishing 4.6 is the Swarovski ATM 80HD followed by the Kowa TSN--883 at 4.5.

I have the categories etc....so I know how they rated them. Again, not sure how much of a difference those scores mean, if you know how to use (or not use) the scope and camera. You have to have the skill to begin with to amount to any quality image digiscoping....

Imans, the scopes you are mentioning here are spotting scope for games. What we are on here are Astrology scopes converted for photography (birding). This is the cheaper alternative to the top rated spotting scopes. Spotting scopes usually have the scope plus eyepiece, then the adaptor to hook up either a Compact Digital camera or DSLR.

What we have here is scope direct into camera with or without additional glass in between. The only spotting scope that I know of using this system is the Nikon EDG. That system is more compact, lighter, waterproof and fogproof (but not the camera) and the price of that, I can buy each member of my family an 80ED OTA + camera o:Do:D

"Check out the latest Scope Reviews completed June 2010 by the Magazine Birder World...not sure if this is online or not.

I realize you are going for a astroscope....of the ones you wanted Celestron Regal 100-F-Ed as the best for an astroscope. it was rated 3.2 for an overall score. The TeleVue's were below that with an overall rating of 2.9."

The TeleVue's must be rated lower because of non WP and heavy. You have to subscribe to the magazine to see it. Also it hard to tell what they use as a test procedure.

Steve

Last edited:

Celestron Regal 100 ED is a spotting scope, not an astro scope. Like all spotting scopes it has a built in prism. The reason astro scopes perform as well as, or more often better than a spotting scope is because there's no prism to degrade the image. With an astro scope mounted as a prime lens, all you have is the objective lens between you and the subject. No prism and no eyepiece.

Paul.

Mooreorless, did you have access to that report. I am not a member and unable to view it. I did know of some reviews done by their members on what they can lay their hands on. They would normally categories the scopes into high end (above $1500), medium ($1000-1500) and low cost (below $999) or something like that. The test would normally be in terms of quality of image, ease of usage, eye comfort, etc with each section carrying certain marks and they total up the marks and thus the winner. Such test are very biased and inaccurate as the range of scope covered are very limited and the test are on individual merits. A similar report here http://www.livingbird.org/netcommunity/bbimages/lb/pdf/ScopeChart2008.pdf .

Paul, the 80EDs are Doublet, what would be the next level? The 100ED and 120ED would be too close and bulky. Perhaps the Triplet? What's so good about the Triplet considering the big jump in cost.

Imans, some nice pics you got in your gallery. What scope are you using and what setup?

Paul, the 80EDs are Doublet, what would be the next level? The 100ED and 120ED would be too close and bulky. Perhaps the Triplet? What's so good about the Triplet considering the big jump in cost.

Imans, some nice pics you got in your gallery. What scope are you using and what setup?

In theory a triplet should bring all three colours to meet at the correct point and this will result in no chromatic aberration like red or blue fringing in high contrast subjects. Because manufacturers don't always select the correct glass, a triplet can be worse than a good doublet. The 80ED is a very good doublet so the gains from going to a triplet would be quite small, barely noticeable unless pixel peeping on 100% crops.

A step up from the 80ED would be a bigger objective but in a similar length scope.

Something like this 90mm f6.7 triplet here.

Or use this 106mm f6.6 tiplet lens cell and modify your existing scope to accept it, see here.

As well as the better light gain, the bigger objective equals better resolution.

Paul.

No I don't have access to that report. You notice on your link that the 85mm TeleVue has the highest image score and also has the highest weight.;) I was not surprised by the image QC of the TeleVue scope/scopes. Also notice the TeleVue 60 image QC score compared to the big scopes. It would be a lot better report with more scientific methods.;) I guess this report is better than nothing, but sample variations could account for difference in image QC.
Regards,Steve

Mooreorless, did you have access to that report. I am not a member and unable to view it. I did know of some reviews done by their members on what they can lay their hands on. They would normally categories the scopes into high end (above $1500), medium ($1000-1500) and low cost (below $999) or something like that. The test would normally be in terms of quality of image, ease of usage, eye comfort, etc with each section carrying certain marks and they total up the marks and thus the winner. Such test are very biased and inaccurate as the range of scope covered are very limited and the test are on individual merits. A similar report here http://www.livingbird.org/netcommunity/bbimages/lb/pdf/ScopeChart2008.pdf .

Paul, it would a hell of a job if I have to modify my scope to handle the Triplet cell. My scope tube is only 90mm LOL. Maybe built one from scratch using the lens would be easier (I am only guessing). Wait till I get my scope, play around with it until I got fed up then maybe take that route.

Mooreorless, those reports are very biased. Mostly commercially driven test. It's only good for those who only plan to buy one of the tested model to choose between them.

Back to my ordered scope. Yours got an 2"-1.25" adaptor? What would be the outer diameter of the flange on the bigger end? I am planning to use that adaptor as my coupling to my extension tube thus without the need to order more parts for the job. That supplied eyepiece, how good is it for Astronomy at beginer level? Thanks.

Steve, I belief the scope comes with a 2"-1.25" reducer to fit into the 2" focuser. Then it connects to the 1.25" diagonals and eyepiece. Am I right? At least that's what I had come to belief. Correct me it I am wrong. So for birding, I will only take out the eyepiece and diagonals but modify the reducer to take in a Extension tube (for closer focus) and TC (if needed) then DSLR. So the outer diameter I was talking about is the one on the reducer. The internal diameters should be 1.25" on the smaller end and 2" on the bigger end right?

Thanks.
Alphan

"I belief the scope comes with a 2"-1.25" reducer to fit into the 2" focuser. Then it connects to the 1.25" diagonals and eyepiece. Am I right? At least that's what I had come to belief. Correct me it I am wrong."

Alphan you are right about this. On my scope there are two set screws that hold this 2"- 1.25 adapter in place. Loosen these set screws and this adapter comes out. You can get either a 2" photo adapter with the right T- ring adapter for your DSLR/SLR camera, something like this.
http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=105-182-220-221-9728
My adapter [2"] is about 2.5 inches long. I originally bought a short T-ring adapter that only measured about .5" long and the scope wouldn't focus either short or long I forget and then I bought a 2" that was 2" long [ not counting what goes into the focuser] by OPT used off astromart. Like this.
http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=105-182-220-224-658
I should of bought something like the WO adapter instead.

With a set up like this you just remove your 2" to 1 1/4" adapter and insert the camera with this 2" adapter tighten set screws and take pictures. You could leave your diagonal & eyepiece in your adapter if you wanted to and be able to switch back if needed.
Regards,Steve

Last edited:
Hi Pete, I am not sure that the Celestron 80ED will focus enough for that adapter. I will have to check mine out again. That would be the way to go if it works.
Regards,Steve

I checked my Celestron 80ED and the T-ring/2" adapter looks about the lenght of the Max dslr adapter and it would not come to focus at all with my Pentax DSLR. The focuser on this has about 2.5" or 6.4 cm of travel. The adapter I use is 50mm long and the adapter for the T-ring that looks something like the Max DSLR adapter makes the overall lenght of about 2 3/8" or 6.1 cm and infinity focus there is about 1 1/18 " or 2.8cm of travel left. Close focus is about 32 ft. The Orion 100ED has 5 1/4" or 13.3 cm of travel

Is the Max threaded to take the Baader 2" 40mm extension. Skywatcher 2 inch T adapter with T-ring.
Regards, Steve

Last edited:
Mooreorless, are you sure your scope came with those adapters you linked on post #35? The pic given by my supplier seems to be including this adapter only http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=105-175-178-3560 without the T-2 thread outside. The two you mentioned may have been separately ordered. If that adapter got T-2 thread, all I need to do is order a cheap T-2 adapter to my camera mount. If there are no threads, then I would need to machine a male thread on it and on my extension tube side, machine a female thread. I ask you to measure the outside diameter to know if I can machine it to fit my extension tube as per post #14.

Musoman, the Max DSLR adapter only comes in Canon, Nikon and Pentax mount. I am using Sony. If I can order any common adapter from Hong Kong/China, that would be cheap, someone like Big Is. That Max DSLR, if they do have a Sony mount, would cost me at least 3 times their list price because of shipping. If I can get it machine to fit the extension, machining cost would be much less than the adapter itself without shipping.

Cheers.

Alphan, i was answering moreorless about the MAX dslr, as he stated he was going with T threaded adapters. Though i'm not sure which camera moreorless uses. If like you, its Sony, then yes, i can see the problem with prices, which is a shame

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back