• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which seed feeder is better: Tube feeder, house feeder or automatic feeder? (2 Viewers)

Well, and I think that in Poland in the winter there's no need to clean or sanitise the feeders, because the bacteria are frozen, you should clean the feeders at the thaw, when you stop feeding the birds, because in Poland, people feed birds only during the winter. For example in UK or USA, the weather is much more warm and humid, so there is a reason to clean the feeders.

Well, and I think that in Poland in the winter there's no need to clean or sanitise the feeders, because the bacteria are frozen, you should clean the feeders at the thaw, when you stop feeding the birds, because in Poland, people feed birds only during the winter. For example in UK or USA, the weather is much more warm and humid, so there is a reason to clean the feeders.

You did post a question asking which feeder is safest because, in your opening post, you mentioned that you were worried that some can become a breeding ground for mold and bacteria.

Various posters helped with their advice to also clean. It takes only a few minutes per feeder in reality, but you seem to be quite against this idea. If you don't wish, that is your choice.

The need is likely less when way below zero, but winters in Poland are often considerably milder than this, especially in recent years. I am to your north in eastern Lithuania, currently looking at a damp wet feeding station. Quite a few winters have relatively mild spells even in the heart of winter.

Last edited:
You did post a question asking which feeder is safest because, in your opening post, you mentioned that you were worried that some can become a breeding ground for mold and bacteria.

Various posters helped with their advice to also clean. It takes only a few minutes per feeder in reality, but you seem to be quite against this idea. If you don't wish, that is your choice.

The need is likely less when way below zero, but winters in Poland are often considerably milder than this, especially in recent years. I am to your north in eastern Lithuania, currently looking at a damp wet feeding station. Quite a few winters have relatively mild spells even in the heart of winter.
Ok, I'll try to clean feeders once a week, but I want to make sure if I need to use a bowl that is only ever used for cleaning feeders or can I wash the feeder in a regular sink in the basement? I have read that birds can transmit diseases to humans and pets but the bacteria will rather run off as I wash the feeder in the sink.

Hi JayFeather from Poland. Personally I don't think once a week is necessary - twice a month is fine, even once when the temperature is constantly sub zero. Yes, there are various types of infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans, eg from pet Parrots, wildfowl and poultry raised for meat and eggs. It all comes back to good routine hygienic procedures to reduce the possibility of harmful infection to both the birds and humans.

Please use whichever sink or bowl that you're happiest with and hot water for cleaning but rinse clean and wipe down afterwards.
Enjoy the birds and good luck attracting a Hawfinch.

I hope you've found the information helpful.

Pat

Oh, and don't forget the bird baths or water dishes, same applies and unfortunately they do poop in the water, especially pigeons.

Here's a couple of images of my garden bird feeders.

Attachments

• 20231112_142022.jpg
    20231112_142022.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20231112_141952.jpg
    20231112_141952.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
Okay, but if I should use plastic gloves to clean the bird feeders, should I use the plastic gloves to refill the feeders in the garden too?

A weak bleach solution is all that is needed to disinfect feeders. And by weak I mean 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. It is in part a matter of the length of time for having the feeder in the bleach solution.

There is a considerable range in terms of easy of cleaning of the different types of bird feeders. I have replaced any feeders that were not easy to clean properly to ones that are easy to take apart and do so without tools. For the feeders that need time in the bleach solution I buy backup feeders. I do this with my thistle feeders and my hummer feeders.

I have a 22 inch 2 inch deep clay dish that I use to provide the birds with water and this goes over time have a green growth that develops. I put a stronger bleach solution in it and let is sit covered for 2 days to kill everything in it while using a smaller backup dish in the interim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back