• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which thrush? London UK (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

Alexandra Palace Park, 10th Feb 2024. I thought this was a Mistle Thrush when I photographed it (due largely to the slender/elongated structure), but looking at the pics (only got these 2 before it flew) I'm now less sure...

Attachments

• P2060309.JPG
    P2060309.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 141
  • P2060310.JPG
    P2060310.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 137
Hello Steve,
agree with Butty, I think its a Redwing.
With a little bit of wishfull thinking, please note
  • form of the black streaking, centered to the breast and the flanks, streaks merge with each other (more uniform scattered across the ubderparts and more isolated spots in Mistle Thrush)
  • bold malar stripe is also better for Redwing than for Mistle Thrush
  • the right whitish supercilium can just be guessed

sorry i should have explained more which is a bad habit i need to overcome so

its obviously a thrush.......we can easily disscount ring ouzel, due to what we can see in the photo, we can also disscount mistle thrush and fieldfare due to the slender look of the bird (both of which would look more larger and heavier) so were left with song thrush blackbird or redwing
but what can we see? a small thin bill plus pale stripes around the neck, with a streaky breast and that only leaves redwing

sorry dyslexia means i struggke to put my words down

It wasn't singing, and I hadn't thought of Redwing, but that definitely makes more sense than Song Thrush!

I tend to think Mistle looking "longer"/slimmer and Song more compact is a better way to tell the two apart than any of the usual claims about colour/markings. But probably was misjudging size/distance and just not thinking about Redwing for a single bird perched at the top of a tall tree...

It wasn't singing, and I hadn't thought of Redwing, but that definitely makes more sense than Song Thrush!

I tend to think Mistle looking "longer"/slimmer and Song more compact is a better way to tell the two apart than any of the usual claims about colour/markings. But probably was misjudging size/distance and just not thinking about Redwing for a single bird perched at the top of a tall tree...

Tail size alone rules out Mistle Thrush, leaving Redwing or Song Thrush. 'Looks very much like a Redwing to me, general shape plus pointers others have mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back