• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Pochards, London UK (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

Both of these I'm pretty sure are Common Pochards, but they're a bit unusual-looking one way or another!

Bird 1 (first 4 photos) was on the boating lake at Alexandra Palace Park, 10th Feb - apparently the only Pochard there, and coming to bread alongside Mallards, Tufted Ducks and Egyptian Geese. I was struck by the amount of black/dark grey on its face - this looked almost like it could be missing feathers at the time, but now looking at the photos it looks like it could actually be mud/staining. Or is it actually a plumage abnormality?

Bird 2 was in a group of Pochards at Walthamstow Wetlands on 11th Feb. It struck me as looking darker/duller and possibly slightly smaller than the other male Pochards in the group, but otherwise closer in plumage to the males than the females present. I wondered about an "intersex" plumage, or even a hybrid like Pochard x Ferruginous Duck. Looking at the photos now though, it looks a bit more female-like than it looked at the time. Any thoughts?

P2060314.JPGP2060316.JPGP2060318.JPGP2060322.JPGP2060436.JPGP2060438.JPGP2060441.JPGP2060449.JPGP2060451.JPGP2060453.JPGP2060455.JPGP2060458.JPGP2060459.JPG

Hello Steve,
very few male Pochards have a darker, even blackish mask, form and extent reminiscent to your bird, but not so contrasting and not extending to cheeks.
So I think its mud covered to the head?

( I thought of a Canvasback then, before I saw my first one at a zoo)

Your second bird looks ok for a pure female Common Pochard without hybrid , they vary individually, sometimes so bad, that you think of an hybrid.

I did think about (escaped rather than vagrant!) Canvasback for the first bird too, but didn't want to suggest it in the first post! And discounted it anyway because they have a really extreme bill/face shape and this one was closer to Tufted Duck than Mallard in size.

Re the second, here is another pic that I just found with it and one of the other females in the group - this one really stood out and did look more similar to the males. But I guess it could just be at one end of female plumage variation...

Attachments

• P2060439.JPG
    P2060439.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back