• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which tour / location for puffins? (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Seeing puffins is a dream of mine (I failed to see any in Scotland and Norway!). I'm hoping to go to Maine in July, but have no idea how to find the best tours / locations. I know the one tour that actually lands on the island and watches them through a blind is already all booked up for 2021. Does anyone else have any other recommendations to see them as closely as possible, and see various behaviors? Further recommendations about accommodations / flights (which airport to fly to?) also welcomed.

Thank you!

It would be simpler going to Iceland, where puffins are plentiful and even on the menu!
There are multiple sites https://www.icelandtravel.is/blog/culture/8-best-spots-to-spot-puffins-in-iceland/
I can recommend Látrabjarg in summer, the puffins are very confiding, the scenery is spectacular and the daylight is almost round the clock.
It is a lot further than Lundey, which is just an excursion from Reykjavik, but you can lie on the grass for hours watching the puffins a few feet away.
Do note the cliffs are sheer, you stroll up a grassy slope to a 150-200 foot drop. Happily the puffins roost at the very top of the cliffs, they need the dirt for their nest burrows.

Seeing puffins is a dream of mine (I failed to see any in Scotland and Norway!). I'm hoping to go to Maine in July, but have no idea how to find the best tours / locations. I know the one tour that actually lands on the island and watches them through a blind is already all booked up for 2021. Does anyone else have any other recommendations to see them as closely as possible, and see various behaviors? Further recommendations about accommodations / flights (which airport to fly to?) also welcomed.

Thank you!
Puffin Tours. List several boat tours

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back