• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whinchats on Norfolk coast. (3 Viewers)

eastcoastbirder

United Kingdom
Hi everyone, whenever I walk along the Norfolk Coastal Path at Horsey I see birds which I always identify as whinchats but all information on the distribution of whinchats in the UK says they migrate in the winter. I have also seen a map describing them as a passage migrant along the East Anglian coast. Can anyone confirm that whinchats are at Horsey all year round or am I mis- identifying the birds? Regards, Neil

Thanks for your advice everyone and I accept they are stonechats. It’s just that they all appear to be females. None of the individuals I’ve seen have the distinctive plumage of the males. I will try to photograph them next time.

Picked up a telephoto lens and returned to Horsey this afternoon and got a few shots of the stonchats, male and female. Lovely birds and quite obliging when it comes to having their photograph taken. Also saw a couple of marsh harriers, a couple of kestrels, what I'm pretty sure are corn buntings, sky larks and unusually (for this corner of Norfolk) a red kite.

Attachments

• Stonechat_female.jpg
    Stonechat_female.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Stonechat_male.jpg
    Stonechat_male.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back