• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-browed Reed Warbler? Bang Pu in Bangkok this morning (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

In Bang Pu mangroves this morning and I ran in to this bird. Poor light so the pictures are at least to say poor.

I have spent time with my books and the best I can do to ID this bird is a White-browed Reed Warbler. And this because of the white ring around the eye. The black strip and whitish under the eye. Yellow bill. Other birds in the book look the same but they are more olive green. This one is brownish/ greying that fits the description.

Alternatively, Blunt-winged Warbler but I cannot really see if my bird is blunt winged or not.

Anyone here that can put me straight, would be appreciated.

KInd Regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• xxxxxxx.jpg
    xxxxxxx.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 43
  • xxxxxxxxx.jpg
    xxxxxxxxx.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 43
Dear Andy Adcock!

Thank you! I have looked at the Dusky Warbler, but the reason for me not to choose this. And I know, the birds look different in different book. In my book the Dusky look plain on the wings while my bird have light stripes in the wings.

Also, in my book I cannot see any upper white ring around the eye on the Dusky and my bird have a clear white ring both above and under. The only thing that (What I think and I am really not good on ID the birds) reminds my bird about the dusky is the darker white browe behind the eye.

In my book the dusky is dark under the eye and the White-browed and Blunt-winged are lighter, at least in my book.

Thank you again for your input!

Kind Regards
Aladdin

I'm not familiar with the other options but this isn't an Acrocephalus (reed) warbler and so neither Manchurian/white-browed not blunt-winged. Reasons include head shape, bill shape, undertail coverts etc. Dusky warbler might be a good suggestion depending what else occurs

I'm not familiar with the other options but this isn't an Acrocephalus (reed) warbler and so neither Manchurian/white-browed not blunt-winged. Reasons include head shape, bill shape, undertail coverts etc. Dusky warbler might be a good suggestion depending what else occurs
Thank you THE_FERN!

I have already reported the bird as a Dusky. https://ebird.org/checklist/S107153398

I have had much help from Andy Adcock here on the forum. So I went for Dusky Warbler

Kind Regards
Aladdin

I think the point has been made here before that it's not good practice to report a bird as a given species unless you have good reason for thinking that your ID is secure. No-one here has suggested that dusky warbler is more than a possibility.

I think the point has been made here before that it's not good practice to report a bird as a given species unless you have good reason for thinking that your ID is secure. No-one here has suggested that dusky warbler is more than a possibility.
Thanks!

Of course, if I don't believe it is the bird I don't report it. Then the whole purpose of eBird, both for eBird and myself personally is for nothing. I have been corrected several times on eBird. Honestly, mostly because I have put the wrong pictures at the wrong bird, but sometimes they have corrected the ID and that has been appreciated. And I have also been corrected (Once only) when I have been right. Even that was appreciated as I learn in the process. And I was also a little happy that I was correct in my ID.

Kind Regards and happy birding
Aladdin!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back