• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-feathered American Crow (1 Viewer)

Mac Faxer

Owl Rights Reserved
I spotted a white-feathered American Crow yesterday, hopped out of the car and clicked one shot before he flew off with his all-black cohorts. It appears that several of his primary feathers are pure white. Can anyone tell me the proper adjective for such a bird? Is it "melanistic" or "partial albino" or...?

(I hope the photo is attached - I'm new at this.)

Bert Kersey, Fallbrook, Southern California

Attachments

• Crow,White.jpg
    Crow,White.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,996
it is a partial albino, meaning that it has abnormally white feathers but it's whole body is not white just a portion of it.

melanistic is when the bird has an abnormal amount of black feathers.

nice find, i have yet to come across an albino bird (partial or not)

congratz :D

This is actually an area where there is a lot of disagreement over the terminology.

Some people would describe it as a partial albino.
Some would say that there is no such thing as a partial albino and describe it as leucisitic.
Some people would only use the term leucistic to describe a bird that was uniformly paler than it should be (but not white).

So take your pick!!

Albino's lack pigment, even in their eyes, hence there eyes are pink because you can see the blood vessels.
I don't really see how you can have a partial albino. As the famous phrase goes "it'd be like being partially pregnant".

Frenchy said:
Albino's lack pigment, even in their eyes, hence there eyes are pink because you can see the blood vessels.
I don't really see how you can have a partial albino. As the famous phrase goes "it'd be like being partially pregnant".

?? Isn't it more common than a complete albino, to see an individual which lacks pigment in just a few groups of feathers. In british corvids pigment loss in flight feathers can be caused a parasite infestation, but I've seen Fieldfare, Reed Bunting, Redwing and Meadow Pipits, which had entirely white areas of feathers, but are not truely albino. I've always assumed this was 'partially albino', where a similar genetic mutation had occured, but had been expressed in a different way in the phenotype due to a different combination of genes present...? If albinism is just the name given to a mutation causing loss of pigment, then surely any mutation which gives rise to a loss of pigment in one area is also albinism?

I generally use "partial albino" and "leucistic" interchangeably, but I'm just a kid, so I may be wrong.

You lucky dog, seeing such a special crow!

Crow wing

Thanks for all the input. I didn't get any flight photos except this partial wing shot as the crow flew away. It's blurry but you can clearly see his three white primaries.

Attachments

• CrowWing.jpg
    CrowWing.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 641
Frenchy said:
being albino is refering to the loss of pigment and does not always refer to the eyes. when the eyes are pink it is refered to as a true albino. when they are not it is a partial albino. ;)

see what i mean?....

Even though I post a heads-up that it's a thorny issue we still get people from both sides insiting they're correct!!!..... ;)

guys,
lets face it, there is no right answer,
both versions of the terminology are in use
that's all anyone can really say...

Another possibility...

Once when I saw a local bird with some white feathers, people told me that it had a virus. When I saw a black squirrel with a white tipped tail ... people told me that it probably had lost its original fur and the regrowth was white (stress) ...

Being familiar with pet birds, this black crow's wings look like they may have been "clipped" at one time, and the new feathers grew back white.

James Lowther said:
see what i mean?....
lets face it, there is no right answer,
both versions of the terminology are in use
that's all anyone can really say...

Having little better to do, I googled for online dictionaries. None of them even recognised the word the word "leucistic/leukistic". Eventually I got a link to Wikipedia. V. good article there, worth a look.

God bless pedants everywhere - especially me!

In my all things Corvine interest, I have come across some Crows (Corvus) with the same white feathering.

There was a young Carrion Crow living nearby with the same white feathers, sadly no picture for proof.

It would seem that this wide ranging genus though is prone to this condition as this dark-eyed juvenile Australian Raven has exactly the same condition.

Website source: http://photogallery.canberrabirds.org.au/ravens_chough_bowerbird.htm

Steve.

Attachments

• Raven_Australian4_Dabb.jpg
    Raven_Australian4_Dabb.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 478
Frenchy said:

Its perfectly possible, all you need is the gene mutating at the right stage of embryo development. A complete albino will result from the mutation being present from the off (i.e. from the single cell stage).

I looked at this American Crow to see if the pattern on it in any way resembled the "white-winged crows" I see fairly regularly in Britain, but it doesn't. I don't know the reason for the British variation, I remember someone stating once it is only a juvenile manifestation: but it is common enough that I wonder why its never illustrated or described in guides. Anyone shed light?

John

Mac Faxer said:
I spotted a white-feathered American Crow yesterday, hopped out of the car and clicked one shot before he flew off with his all-black cohorts. It appears that several of his primary feathers are pure white. Can anyone tell me the proper adjective for such a bird? Is it "melanistic" or "partial albino" or...?

What a Beauty ! Thanks for sharing the photo. Mabey he got the white feathers from perching on the power lines too much . lol3:)

I read that a study in Finland found that crows that lived mainly off human refuse tended to have more white patches than their rural cousins, although the exact reason for this remains unclear.

colonelboris said:
I read that a study in Finland found that crows that lived mainly off human refuse tended to have more white patches than their rural cousins, although the exact reason for this remains unclear.

Just seen an article in a recent Dutch Birding. The basic jist is the the phrase 'partial albino' is utter rubbish, albinism refers to one particular genetic mutation resulting in a non-functioning protien that produces melanim, therefore it can only occur entirely or not at all. All other white-plumage abberations are actually other mutations and theres a various names for each!

Another Black American Crow with White Feathers / Pictures

Mac Faxer said:

o:)
I also have two photos I managed to snap of a Black American Crow that was around my house for several months and which I spotted a number of times on my lawn with his black cohorts.

Attachments

• Black_White Crow 1.jpg
    Black_White Crow 1.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Black_White Crow 2.jpg
    Black_White Crow 2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back