• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Goldfinch (1 Viewer)

On the other hand such birds are quite rare/unusual at the sightings level ...

Leucistic Goldfinch (hard to see/know whether a wild bird or escaped cage bird as Mono says).

Nice sighting anyway, and welcome to BF (y)

Hi there Scott and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

This is the very first Leucistic Goldfinch I have seen an image of.

Hi Scott and a warm welcome from me too. An amazing spot for you; it'll be so nice to be able to recognise him straightaway when he visits your feeders. I occasionally get birds in with just the odd white feather, but haven't seen any so strongly affected by leucism as this.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Imho It doesn't look like an aviary bird as it is such a weird plumage. There are lots of variations out there that are crosses that have been bred tho, I had an odd bird a while ago that was pretty standard except being a few shades paler than normal. When I Googled it, it was a good match for a known form bred ny breeders but couldn't get a name for it as the article was in French.

The few odd plumaged birds I have had in the garden, Blackbirds etc have really surprised me with how infrequently they have visited the garden and how long before they have moved on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back