• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White gull, Whitburn Coastal Park, UK (1 Viewer)

James111

United Kingdom
Hi, I saw this very white gull yesterday, 29th Aug, at Whitburn Coastal Park, North East England.

I think it's most likely going to be a leucistic (or something) herring gull. It looks a similar size or maybe slightly smaller than the nearby herring (or possibly LBB for the juveniles?) gulls. The pictures are probably all overexposed and/or blurred, but when looking through the scope there was a very small degree of brownish markings; can't be more specific than that. The shape of the bill looks thinner than a herring gull's to me, although maybe not in the first two pics. That made me wonder if it could be a LBBG? Obviously I considered an iceland gull, but I think the all-black bill, and lack of almost any markings at this time of year would exlclude that?

Every large gull in the area that was easily identifiable (for me) was a herring gull, except for a few GBBG and one LBBG.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG10.JPG11.JPG

Hello,
interesting bird. Not that I can iD it, but its an educational one, with pure structure and proportions the only hint.

Tfs and thanks to Lou for ID!
One more question: is this is a 1cy bird by all black bill, pink legs and uniform fresh/only faint worn primaries?
I just realized, how I much I am influenced by colouration.

Tfs again!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back