• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White, Pied or hybrid Wagtail, Denmark (1 Viewer)

This wagtail was photographed at Kronborg, NE-most point of Zealand, eastern part of Denmark, March 26th 2017. It appeared dark-backed in the field. The colour of the rump was not seen in the field.

Pied (yarrellii) is quite rare in the eastern part of Denmark with about 5-10 records every year, but some of these records probably refer to alba or yarrellii x alba.

I am interested to hear any opinions about this bird (alba, yarrellii, or alba x yarrellii).

The photos in slightly better quality can be found here:
https://cheferneifelten.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/hvid_vip_collage2.jpg

Best regards,
Andreas

Attachments

• wagtail_1.jpg
    wagtail_1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 74
  • wagtail_2.jpg
    wagtail_2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 54
  • wagtail_3.jpg
    wagtail_3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 73
If it was here, I'd not give it a second glance, just a "boring" Pied Wag. But hard to exclude a hybrid with e.g. 25% White 75% Pied.

Hi Andreas.

Firstly, would be to try and age the bird, which might not be that easy from these pic. The blackish prmaries and primary coverts suggest an older bird than 2cy, which by this time of year would normally have more worn primaries. There is moult limit in the middle of the greater coverts but it's difficult to see if there are any first generation outer grater coverts, which would suggest a 2cy bird, in that case, female/male.
Check this swedish bird, notice the pale flanks.
https://artportalen.se/Mobile/Image/1141116

JanJ

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.

Jan: Thanks for the link to the Swedish bird. I think this bird highlights the problem about identifying "non-classic" yarrellii in Scandinavia. The flank on the Swedish bird is quite pale, and it is difficult to establish if the black colouration on the rump reaches far enough towards the back. Perhaps a yarrellii x alba?

I got the following replies regarding the Danish bird from Peter Adriaens:

"I think this bird looks okay for yarrellii.
It is a bit streaked on upper mantle, but not overly so.
The rump looks blackish and the flank pattern is also good for this subspecies, so all in all I think this one can pass.
I am not too sure about the age.
All wagtails have a moult contrast in their greater coverts in spring, even the adults.“

...and about age and sex:

"I suspect it is a female, but age uncertain."

Please feel free to forward photos of the Danish bird to the Swedish experts.

Best regards,
Andreas

I also had in mind that it might in fact be a yarrellii, sex and precise age uncertain. The suggested moult contrast in the greater coverts is only valid as an age marker if there are juvenile outers, which sometimes might be concealed by flank feathers.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back