• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-rumped/Baird's? Sandpipers in Southern Ontario (1 Viewer)

osbirder

I took pictures of some sandpipers I saw in an inland location beside a river in Southern Ontario on May 25. I thought they were all "peeps", and one was obviously larger and appeared to have wings longer than the tail. The picture isn't all that clear. Photo #1 and Photo #2 (larger bird near center of photo).

I went back to this same location on May 29, and saw only 2 sandpipers, but again one was larger with longer wings than the tail. This one had streaks along the sides as well. I think it is a White-rumped Sandpiper. Photo #3.

I'm not sure if the first bird could be the same one as on May 29 or a different one (I don't particularly see the side streaks) but the photo isn't that clear.

Can anyone tell the definite ID's for these 2 birds?

Attachments

• Bairds 1.jpg
    Bairds 1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Bairds 2.jpg
    Bairds 2.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 89
  • White-rumped Sandpiper.jpg
    White-rumped Sandpiper.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 92
Thank you for the confirmation on the White-rumped Sandpiper.

The other one is difficult to tell. It may or may not be the same bird. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

I think all of your birds in question are White-rumped. In the first two pictures, I would expect to see at least a little buff coloration and maybe a less upright posture for Baird's. The third image is a clear-cut White-rumped with those marks on the flanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back