• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitethroat in Rajasthan (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi all,

I'd like to have your opinion about this whitethroat taken in March 2024 in Udaipur, Rajasthan, India. In bushes on the shore of a lake.

I'm discussing the case with others and we need more input.

Cheers !

Attachments

• photo1_correction.JPG
    photo1_correction.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 42
  • photo1_mystere.JPG
    photo1_mystere.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 42
I probably misunderstand, but dark legs, no rusty in the wing, and Common Whitethroat is almost 400 times rarer in Rajasthan. eBird's photos show dark bandit masks of varying extent depending on the photo (to the point of being almost nonexistent (?)).

EDIT: I guess it was about subspecies status, then. Sorry (and willing to hear the answers myself)!
It is a taxon of the Curruca curruca complex, but I wish to determine precisely which one if possible, whatever we consider them as species of subspecies.

I believe all of these are possible in Rajasthan : blythi, halimodendri, minula, margelanica, althaea

They can potentially be split into three species : Lesser Whitethroat, Desert Whitethroat and Hume's Whitethroat.

It is a taxon of the Curruca curruca complex, but I wish to determine precisely which one if possible, whatever we consider them as species of subspecies.

I believe all of these are possible in Rajasthan : blythi, halimodendri, minula, margelanica, althaea

They can potentially be split into three species : Lesser Whitethroat, Desert Whitethroat and Hume's Whitethroat.
Valery, according to Rasmussen, only halimodendri, minula, althaea and blythi? occur in the region while margelanica apparently migrates W through C Asia (confirmed by sampling) to ?, Crucially, AFAIK, there has been no DNA sampling to date anywhere in S Asia to enable confirmation of which taxa occur in the region. I think one could safely eliminate althaea but beyond that it would be pure guesswork so, Lesser Whitethroat ssp.? IMHO.

Grahame

Last edited:
I once spent 2 days in the desert outside Jaisalmer looking at Lesser Whitethroats trying to work out what I was looking at, and basically admitted defeat! There seemed to be an infinite shades of grey variation 😵‍💫

Valery, according to Rasmussen, only haliodendri, minula, althaea and blythi? occur in the region. Crucially, AFAIK, there has been no DNA sampling to date anywhere in S Asia to enable confirmation of which taxa occur in the region. I think one could safely eliminate althaea but beyond that it would be pure guesswork so, Lesser Whitethroat ssp.? IMHO.

Grahame
Thanks Grahame !

You are right, margelanica is not in the Rajasthan list, but it is likely than it might occur. BOW states "Non-breeding range presumed S Asia.". Obviously, the winter range is not well understood.

According to you, we can't exclude blythii ?

Thanks Grahame !

You are right, margelanica is not in the Rajasthan list, but it is likely than it might occur. BOW states "Non-breeding range presumed S Asia.". Obviously, the winter range is not well understood.

According to you, we can't exclude blythii ?
Winter range of margelanica is currently unknown.

Some blythi are inseparable from halimodendri as we have found out to our cost here in the UK. It was only relatively recently, through sampling, halimodendri was confirmed wintering in the Gulf States.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back