• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is still viewing through Victory HT 42s? (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

Very excited today to have sourced an unsold shop demo Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, bearing in mind that the model was discontinued c.2019 and renewing my acquaintance with it since last using Troubadour's copy in early 2021.

As it happens, this afternoon in Devon where I drove 250 miles to pick up the binoculars was extremely wet and heavily clouded — excellent conditions to test the high transmission AK prisms and Schott glass. The magic was there as the dioptre adjustment fell quickly into place — not always true for me — and there was that absolute focus snap and revelation looking out from and also at dense dark undercover. Though HTs don't have the survivor SFs' Ergo Balance concept (i.e. face end weighting for better handling balance) a forward grip on the objective end of the barrels seems pretty instinctive after past familiarity and that way the finger(s) fall readily on to the large focus wheel.

My only slight negative with this probably long unused example is that the wheel makes a slight clicking noise on direction changes but hopefully that will lessen with running in and if it persists or becomes irritating a trip to Gary at ECBR would always help.

I just love the sheer brightness of these HTs both in dreary dark conditions and from memory on sunny days too. I am looking forward to comparing again with FL 7x42 to see if it is right that the rendering of reds and pinks is improved in the HT, courtesy of the Schott glass.

Are there many of us left who are still using this last of the AK generation — last in x42 anyway?

By the way, I don't see QC failings in this bin, but please bear in mind it's only day 1 of possession after about 20 minutes of try out. We read of some problems sometimes with the x54s, but there was very little indeed to fuss about with the 8x42 I used before and the click on this one's focuser is really pretty minor. Eyecup adjustment feels if anything more positive than before. So far so good, in fact nearly ecstatic!

Tom

Last edited:
Very excited today to have sourced an unsold shop demo Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, bearing in mind that the model was discontinued c.2019 and renewing my acquaintance with it since last using Troubadour's copy in early 2021.

As it happens, this afternoon in Devon where I drove 250 miles to pick up the binoculars was extremely wet and heavily clouded — excellent conditions to test the high transmission AK prisms and Schott glass. The magic was there as the dioptre adjustment fell quickly into place — not always true for me — and there was that absolute focus snap and revelation looking out from and also at dense dark undercover. Though HTs don't have the survivor SFs' Ergo Balance concept (i.e. face end weighting for better handling balance) a forward grip on the objective end of the barrels seems pretty instinctive after past familiarity and that way the finger(s) fall readily on to the large focus wheel.

My only slight negative with this probably long unused example is that the wheel makes a slight clicking noise on direction changes but hopefully that will lessen with running in and if it persists or becomes irritating a trip to Gary at ECBR would always help.

I just love the sheer brightness of these HTs both in dreary dark conditions and from memory on sunny days too. I am looking forward to comparing again with FL 7x42 to see if it is right that the rendering of reds and pinks is improved in the HT, courtesy of the Schott glass.

Are there many of us left who are still using this last of the AK generation - last in x42 anyway?

By the way, I don't see QC failings in this bin, but please bear in mind it's only day 1 of possession after about 20 minutes of try out. We read of some problems sometimes with the x54s, but there was very little indeed to fuss about with the 8x42 I used before and the click on this one's focuser is really pretty minor. Eyecup adjustment feels if anything more positive than before. So far so good, in fact nearly ecstatic!

Tom
I laughed out loud when I saw this. I finally laid hands on one of these today and think it is excellent. I traded somebody local to me for an unused 10x42 HT and am quite happy with it. The colors are near identical to my 7x42 FL (pre lotutec) and are very true to life yet nicely saturated. White is white. These things really are bright and sharp that is for sure!

I keep my HT 8x42 in my car trunk. No issues to report other than the focusing wheel lubricant getting stiff with disuse and requiring a few back-and-forth turns to loosen. Earlier in its life a screw came loose in one of the barrels, requiring a 12-week trip back to Germany. In the meantime I acquired a Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42 and that’s how the Zeiss was relegated to car duty.

I had the 8x42 HT and loved it. I now have the 10x42 HT and love it also. Mine is in for service right now so looking forward for it to return. I like it better than the SF for the colors and extreme sharpness.

I had the 8x42 HT and loved it. I now have the 10x42 HT and love it also. Mine is in for service right now so looking forward for it to return. I like it better than the SF for the colors and extreme sharpness.
That's interesting, Robert. I purchased some almost brand new 8x42 SF's last year from a guy who had decided to replace them (after just a couple of months ownership) with a pair of 8x42 HT's, for the same reason.

You are clearly not alone in preferring them to the current Zeiss flagships!

Do the HT 42's have the same behaviour as the HT 54's? Everything the same except of course the aperture?
Not the ones I tested. The 8x42 HT was essentially optically identical to the 8x42 FL (same glass elements, same aberrations both on and off-axis, same distortion profile.) There was a small increase in brightness and change in color bias, presumably from the HT glass and a modest increase in glare resistance from baffling changes. See below.

The 8x54 HT I tested was inferior to both the 8x42 HT and 8x42 FL and especially the 8x56 FL due to excessive spherical aberration and high lateral color, even quite close to the field center.

I tried a 8x42 HT 7-8 years ago. My experience is that it was just a tad sharper than Conquest HD 8x42. But for twice the price it was doubtful if it was worth it.
I heard somewhere that HT was discontinued because Conquest HD was so close for much lower price. Anyway I today think I would have got a 8x42 HT because of the higher light transmission, and also the higher quality mechanical construction.

I heard somewhere that HT was discontinued because Conquest HD was so close for much lower price.
I heard also this but I think it was about FL discontinued not HT model. Because Conquest light transmission curve is very similar (if not the very same) to curve light transmission of the FL. Instead, HT light transmission is totally different in a good way, as you say!

I heard also this but I think it was about FL discontinued not HT model. Because Conquest light transmission curve is very similar (if not the very same) to curve light transmission of the FL. Instead, HT light transmission is totally different in a good way, as you say!
I hadn't heard of that or about the Conquest — that doesn't mean I don't believe it, of course! In fact I'm really spoilt for choice now with 3 AK Zeiss items in x42 all with 95% transmission but for colour and especially the detail, partly I suspect as my eyes are not getting younger and the HT is an 8x whereas the other two AK Zeiss items are 7x (BGAT*P* and FL) the HT is the best one. It ticks every box for me and personally I think the classic Zeiss edge astigatism is no trouble at all. I like the HT's highly 3D effect and have quickly got used to the slightly more forward hold needed for good balance. Years ago when I first handled an HT I was a bit uncertain about the styling - minor in some ways but I don't want to pay out for something unaesthetic. This time round I actually like its sharp looks: very Germanic and strong. Anyway it delivers all the goods and brings a smile to my face. The eyecups are firmer and steadier than in the one I used a few years ago. So all in all a long trip to get it but worth it for a great outcome. By the way, no dust in the barrels or any of the other QC issues that were being mentioned about some Zeiss products a few years ago. If those reports were generally typical of wider experience, Zeiss must have have taken the problem in hand. The serial no. of my glass suggests a fairly late production.

I'm sure the Conquest would be most satisfactory too but I don't see myself wanting to move this bin on.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard of that or about the Conquest — that doesn't mean I don't believe it, of course! In fact I'm really spoilt for choice now with 3 AK Zeiss items in x42 all with 95% transmission but for colour and especially the detail, partly I suspect as my eyes are not getting younger and the HT is an 8x whereas the other two AK Zeiss items are 7x (BGAT*P* and FL) the HT is the best one. It ticks every box for me and personally I think the classic Zeiss edge astigatism is no trouble at all. I like the HT's highly 3D effect and have quickly got used to the slightly more forward hold needed for good balance. Years ago when I first handled an HT I was a bit uncertain about the styling - minor in some ways but I don't want to pay out for something unaesthetic. This time round I actually like its sharp looks: very Germanic and strong. Anyway it delivers all the goods and brings a smile to my face. The eyecups are firmer and steadier than in the one I used a few years ago. So all in all a long trip to get it but worth it for a great outcome. By the way, no dust in the barrels or any of the other QC issues that were being mentioned about some Zeiss products a few years ago. If those reports were generally typical of wider experience, Zeiss must have have taken the problem in hand. The serial no. of my glass suggests a fairly late production.

I'm sure the Conquest would be most satisfactory too but I don't see myself wanting to move this bin on.
The Conquest is awesome, and all the binocular anyone would need....
But.... it's not special..... especially in its' feel.
I was happy to change to a Leica BN, which to me has a better view, and feels significantly better in the hand. A definate step up.
But Conquests give us great value for money, and Zeiss should be applauded for delivering that at a good price.

I was happy to change to a Leica BN, which to me has a better view, and feels significantly better in the hand. A definate step up.
But Conquests give us great value for money, and Zeiss should be applauded for delivering that at a good price.
Definitely so!

I have four Zeiss from small to large. All reliable and super performance. To the point that I would buy nothing else, except for giant folded ones.

I have owned mine since they were released 8x42, not a fan of 10x. Best I've ever owned or used. I also have the 8x32 Conquest HD which are as good an 8x32 I've used. My binocular journey ended with these two. All the rest of what comes from the community is noise to me, hence why I rarely visit here any longer. I don't have the claimed eagle eyes some her claim for themselves and I'd rather spend my time behind the eyepieces than make endless comparisons of extrelesmall differences. That said, I'm not a serious birder; I just don't care that much about the details, rather, I enjoy looking at wildlife in their habitat, checking the skies, and general outdoor use when hiking, driving the back country etc. but this is a birding site so many of you have different desires, needs, and wants than I. My older 8x42 Terras are kept in the console of my Land Cruiser and when using them, I rarely miss the good stuff had I forgotten to bring them. Other than the slight yellow cast my gen of Terras has, the optical differences are minor for my vision at, now, 73. Which to be fair, is still pretty damn good.

My 10x42 HT is everything I could wish for in a 10x42. The fact that I got it new from an authorized dealer for £1300 shipped, makes it all the sweeter.

I remember trying the 8x42 and 10x42 at Birdfair some years back, the last year the HTs were there. Outstanding binocular in some respects, notably brightness, which was slightly but at the same time discernibly superior to the SF. There is no doubt that here in the UK we get very many of those grey days that seem to leach out all brightness and colour from the universe, where every bit of absolute (HT, FL) or even perceived (Swarovski) brightness and colour (Noctivid) is valuable. I personally felt the HT's exceptional brightness (which I think struck me more than that of the much praised 8x30 Habicht) was outweighed by the SF field of view and larger sweet spot for my own birding, and would prefer the latter, but the HT is certainly a fine product. Smaller than the SF, and handles well in its own way too - I think Zeiss had already figured that they wanted to move the center of gravity rearwards. My own preference is probably for a correctly executed open bridge, but the binocular I use the most is a single bridge design, and now that the NL has gone back to the single bridge the HT looks contemporary again (lol). I liked the HT eyecups a lot better too.

Like the OP I prefer 8x to 7x for actual birding - as opposed to "the view". I can get by with 7x, but prefer the slightly larger target image 8x gives you. It's only one mag higher, but enough to make a difference to my eyes.

I'm surprised the collector crowd haven't made more of the fact that the HT is the last Abbe-Koening binocular Zeiss has produced, and quite likely the last they will ever produce (at least in the x42 size).

I agree the Conquest feels somewhat utilitarian, though perfectly functional, in design/handling, but image wise I find it (and also the Canon 10x42, Meostar and Monarch HG) superior in some respects (brightness, sharpness, colour rendition) to my regular 10x40 P model Dialyt, a contemporary of the Leica BA/BN series.

Interestingly, I've not read too many comparisons between the late model Dialyt Classic 8x30/10x40 and the 8x32/10x42 BA/BN, even though they were around at the same time and must have been rivals. Maybe the Trinovids were so obviously superior there was no need to compare the two :oops:?

I'm surprised the collector crowd haven't made more of the fact that the HT is the last Abbe-Koening binocular Zeiss has produced, and quite likely the last they will ever produce (at least in the x42 size).
I'm not a collector at all, but this is certainly a reason why I'll never let go of mine. The quality of the view would be the other reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back