• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who uses the Steiner Wildlife 8x42? (1 Viewer)

mTown

Hello all,

looking for a new pair of binoculars in the 8x40-44 class in the price range of about EUR 500-1000/pound 430-800 I became aware - as an alternative to the well known in this price range Nikon Monarch HG, Leica Trinovid HD etc. - of the Steiner Wildlife 8x42 (Link Steiner Homepage), which is available since about 2019(?) and can be bought in Germany for something like EUR 500/pound 430. The Steiner homepage states that the optical performance of the Wildlife 8x42 is better than the Steiner Skyhawk, but cf. with that of the Steiner Ranger Extreme.

In an interesting report from Binomania.it the binoculars has well performed, on Allbinos only the 10x42 variant is tested. Practical experience, except the mentioned, I have unfortunately found none or few. I am always happy about threads about less noticed manufacturers/brands, some of which also have good binoculars to offer. Also because of this and because there is little to read about Steiner or partly bad experience reports, especially to the compact glasses of Steiner in the Birdforum, I started this thread.

Therefore, I would be interested to know if anyone here in the forum uses the glass and would also recommend this or would immediately advise one of the more expensive binoculars in this class, such as the usual suspects (see above).

Good discussion!

PS: I know that Steiner's advertising claims/marketing are sometimes very contentious, but I ask that this thread not discuss them, but only the optical/mechanical quality or practical experience of the Steiner Wildlife 8x42.

Hello all,

looking for a new pair of binoculars in the 8x40-44 class in the price range of about EUR 500-1000/pound 430-800 I became aware - as an alternative to the well known in this price range Nikon Monarch HG, Leica Trinovid HD etc. - of the Steiner Wildlife 8x42 (Link Steiner Homepage), which is available since about 2019(?) and can be bought in Germany for something like EUR 500/pound 430. The Steiner homepage states that the optical performance of the Wildlife 8x42 is better than the Steiner Skyhawk, but cf. with that of the Steiner Ranger Extreme.

In an interesting report from Binomania.it the binoculars has well performed, on Allbinos only the 10x42 variant is tested. Practical experience, except the mentioned, I have unfortunately found none or few. I am always happy about threads about less noticed manufacturers/brands, some of which also have good binoculars to offer. Also because of this and because there is little to read about Steiner or partly bad experience reports, especially to the compact glasses of Steiner in the Birdforum, I started this thread.

Therefore, I would be interested to know if anyone here in the forum uses the glass and would also recommend this or would immediately advise one of the more expensive binoculars in this class, such as the usual suspects (see above).

Good discussion!

PS: I know that Steiner's advertising claims/marketing are sometimes very contentious, but I ask that this thread not discuss them, but only the optical/mechanical quality or practical experience of the Steiner Wildlife 8x42.
Hi mTown,

I would advise against these. Or at least make sure you can return them with a reasonable return window/return conditions before committing to them.

I have only briefly handled and used them for a maximum of 30 minutes and I was unimpressed to say the least. For my work we are issued Steiner binoculars and personally I have owned a few as well. I have been exposed to many different models in various sizes and have found only two Steiner binos that have stood out to me.

The newest Shadowquest 8x56 (Nighthunter 8x56 in Europe) and the Peregrine XP 8x44 (Discovery 8x44 in Europe).

If you want to stay with Steiner (I completely understand wanting to try little talked about companies) I would recommend trying to source a Discovery 8x44.

But stay away from the Wildlife XP series!!! Steiner claims they are the newer version of the Peregrine XP/Discovery line but they have the worst internal reflections I have ever experienced in any optic.

If you can’t source a Steiner Discovery 44mm, I would go with one of the many others in the price range (Meopta would take my vote).

Long story short, I believe the Wildlife series are underwhelming. Especially compared to their rivals in the price range.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back