• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whooper Swan with damaged wing (1 Viewer)

greer3

United Kingdom
A couple of years ago, after the Whoopers returned home for Summer, one stayed behind on the River Kent in Cumbria. After seeing it a few times I realised why: it had a damaged wing and couldn't fly. It spent its time between the marsh and the river. If anyone was around, it waddled into the river if it was on the marsh.
Two years later it's still here, looking healthy and well fed- apart from its damaged wing. I guess an injured swan can manage to survive better than some other birds as long as it can still walk and swim.
Fortunately it's in a fairly unique area which is seldom disturbed by humans or dogs, although a fox would be seen sometimes - but so far, its managed to avoid that.
Most likely it damaged its wing flying into overhead electrical wires; several Mute Swans have come a-cropper that way in recent years. I've written to the local power company asking them to place deterrent markers on the wires but was fobbed off. They said it wasn't their responsibility. I made further enquiries but got nowhere.
Whoopers are birds of the flock, but this one has carried on in a solo mode. When flocks of Whoopers do visit, it doesn't bother joining in, simply carrying on with its lonely existence, which is rather sad, but at least its still alive.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back