• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why did the frog cross the road? (2 Viewers)

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland
To cut a longish story short, local frogs are trying to cross roads and, as a result, facing imminent death or even dying. I've tried to help them this evening and want to continue doing it. So far, I've managed to carry four, and my conclusions are: 1) I need a bucket indeed since just a thick glove is not enough--for the sake of the frog and myself; 2) I need to be abundantly cautious so as not to inadvertently step on other frogs. I don't think anyone else in the city does that (I did ask), so I need to maximise the throughput when acting alone. My current understanding is that, as a rule of thumb, wet and warm days are preferred for migration. What time of the day should I patrol the pavement to help the most frogs? If you have other suggestions, I'd be grateful as well.

Night times seem to have higher numbers of amphibians crossing roads to get to their breeding ponds. Here in the UK there are dedicated " Toad patrols" in some areas. Essential equipment- flash or head torch, bucket, rubber gloves, high viz jacket and plenty of hot drinks.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back