• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why do Pileated Woodpeckers stop visiting in the winter? (1 Viewer)

JoeGBirder

Photography and birding enjoyer
United States
I have Pileated Woodpeckers as regular visitors in the spring and summer, and even though they are year-round residents, I haven't seen one since late September. Why do they stop visiting my yard suddenly? Thanks!

I've got plenty. Ya know I often wonder if birds can sense upcoming seasons and their preference for warm weather. Makes me wonder if you are in for a cold winter. I'm from down south and we do get cold spells but not like the northern parts do. This, from a former New Yorker ;)

I've got plenty. Ya know I often wonder if birds can sense upcoming seasons and their preference for warm weather. Makes me wonder if you are in for a cold winter. I'm from down south and we do get cold spells but not like the northern parts do. This, from a former New Yorker ;)
People have been saying my part of the State will have a pretty heavy winter this year (I live in New York. Not upstate, but still an hour or so away from the city, so this wasn't too surprising) so you could be correct. Of course, so far this winter has been underwhelming. The other day we got 3 or 4 inches. That's the most snow we've had this year (besides at the start of the year) and it melted within a day. I hate global warming!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back