• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why is there so little actual discussion here? (2 Viewers)

I didn't imply that, I simply wondered aloud why this section of BF isn't busier considering the amount of lookers there are.

A few days ago I selected a small sample of n=40 different threads that appeared in sequence, and recorded the number of posts and views. Ten turned out to be binocular threads, and 30 were birding threads. In other words, one in four were about binoculars.

I then compared the views-per-post ratios of the two groups using a t-statistic to test for mean differences, and an F-statistic to compare variances. Although this is a very small sample, and an inefficient test due to unequal group sizes, there was no strong evidence that binocular threads have any different number of views per post than others. Neither the means nor variances were significantly different. Overall, there are somewhere between 44 and 56 views per post.

Several more refined analyses could be done with a much larger sample, but with no easy way to download the numbers and eliminate identical threads, it would take a great deal of hand labor.

So this is just a small push-back to question the basic premise ... :eat:

Ed

Attachments

• Birding vs. Optics F-test.pdf
    19.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Nice synopsis Brock. I think you did a ver nice job of summarizing one of the general trends of behavior here. Now I think I need to head over to the Swaro booth to check out the CL pockets.

On another note my timing in reading your comments was perfect. As soon as I finished reading your post I looked to my left and there was Stephen. I read him your quote and he laughed at the fact that his quote is in your signature line. A very humble man.

Frank,

I wish I had seen your post earlier, had to work this weekend and went offline to keep myself from being distracted (I'm online so much that Norton 360 panicked and thought something was wrong with my computer and gave me an ALERT because it couldn't check online for updates). I would have asked you to give a "shout out" to my biding optics mentor and to tell him that I carry Zip Locks whenrever I use my 8x32 SEs on an "iffy" weather day.

The only thing that beats the SE on an overcast days is the Vixen 7x50 Foresta. Did the sun come out? Nope, that's just those large 50mm triplet objectives shining.

Brock

A few days ago I selected a small sample of n=40 different threads that appeared in sequence, and recorded the number of posts and views. Ten turned out to be binocular threads, and 30 were birding threads. In other words, one in four were about binoculars.

I then compared the views-per-post ratios of the two groups using a t-statistic to test for mean differences, and an F-statistic to compare variances. Although this is a very small sample, and an inefficient test due to unequal group sizes, there was no strong evidence that binocular threads have any different number of views per post than others. Neither means nor variances were significantly different. Overall, there are somewhere between 44 and 56 views per post.

Several more refined analyses could be done with a much larger sample, but with no easy way to download the numbers and eliminate identical threads, it would take a great deal of hand labor.

So this is just a small push-back to question the basic premise ... :eat:

Ed

Ed,

Here's what you need. ;)

<B>

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back