• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

why would crows want to relentlessly attack a cat (1 Viewer)

diverse379

Hello forum members I have a questions that has been nagging me for a few weeks now

I saw a youtube video actually two separate ones with a grey crow with black markings on its tail
attack a cat relentlessly

in fact what actually was going on or so it seemed was that the crow was causing the cat to fight another cat

it was as if the crow wanted to see some action.

since I saw this on two separate videos
I would imagine this is something these crows just do

Is there any explanation for this behavior is it a phenomenon?

below is one of the videos with the two crows but there is another with the same species of crow attacking a cat on a roof top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbBlYfTbA44

It would appear that the crows are simply exhibiting "mobbing behaviour", perhaps the cat was close to a fledgeling or a nest, and the crows were attempting to move it along. Birds exhibit mobbing when they have located at preditor and announce its presence to others nearby. As cats employ the suprise element in thier attacks, a cat in the open like this, poses limited danger. The presence of the other cat is likely coincidental.

Thanks so they were acting together to get rid of the cats. that makes more sense then the whole Alfred Hitchcock angle

You asked a very good question, because even 'well-known' aspects of mammal or bird behaviour often turn out to be incompletely researched. For example, in Australia in the remote Kimberleys, researchers have been tracking feral cats by satellite (from 2010 on). They have found that cats appear to identify distant smoke (even downwind, so sight, not smell appears the key) from wildfires as an indicator of easy food (from displaced, injured or freshly-dead marsupials and birds), and will travel many kilometres (20+) towards a persistent wildfire. Perhaps then it is no surprise that crows, amongst the most intelligent of birds in their reasoning powers, will harass cats, if only to persude them to pick on easier targets!
MJB

thank you MJB
but see now this adds another wrinkle to an otherwise made bed.
because if the crows have another agenda
because as I said there is another video of the same species of crow
harrassing two other cats and causing them to fight

and just like in the above video the crow stayed with the fight the whole time.

I am not a bird expert or an animal expert but I am fascinated by the unusual instinctual and moreover learned and adapted behavior in animals and this to me appears something somewhat new and adapted

Its interesting that crows will mob other animals outside of the breeding season.

Maybe it's so heavily impregnated in their behavioral psyche, maybe they just find it fun.

Hello forum members I have a questions that has been nagging me for a few weeks now

I saw a youtube video actually two separate ones with a grey crow with black markings on its tail
attack a cat relentlessly

in fact what actually was going on or so it seemed was that the crow was causing the cat to fight another cat

it was as if the crow wanted to see some action.

since I saw this on two separate videos
I would imagine this is something these crows just do

Is there any explanation for this behavior is it a phenomenon?

below is one of the videos with the two crows but there is another with the same species of crow attacking a cat on a roof top

Thank you for your post. The same unpleasant experience I have started witnessing since this spring. I dont know if my cat disturbed the crows nest, but certainly they (a couple, I guess) furiously attack my cats whenever I take them out for walk. As I threw a stone at them to frighten them away from my cats those two disliked me as well. Whenever I am out they are there and aim to hit my head with their beak. What should I do to protect myself and my cats. Thank you for all your comments in advance!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back