• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wich Tripod and head for a Zeiss Dialyt Scope? (1 Viewer)

Aquaplas

Austria
I have the Zeiss Dialyt 18-45x65 Scope and look for a Tripod that is stable enough for that scope and small enough to carry in my Backpack. I use the Scope in heavy terrain in the mountains, so the tripod must work here too.
I am new in scoping so I need some Tipps please.
Thanks.

Peter.

I have the Zeiss Dialyt 18-45x65 Scope and look for a Tripod that is stable enough for that scope and small enough to carry in my Backpack. I use the Scope in heavy terrain in the mountains, so the tripod must work here too.
"Stable enough" and "small enough to carry in my backpack" are mutually exclusive. You'll need to compromise. That the tripod "must work" in difficult terrain is another complication. How tough does it need to be?

In addition, there's some vital information missing: How tall are you? Whether you are, say, 1,60m, 1,70m, 1,80m or 1,90m tall makes a heck of a difference. Do you want to use it standing up or sitting on a rock? How much weight are you prepared to carry? Could you get away with a good monopod, if necessary leaning the monopod against some rocks?

BTW, what I use in the mountains or in difficult terrain are a Gitzo GT 1545T with an old Gitzo 2180 video head. Total weight 1,5 kg. Or a monopod (Monostat, sadly out of production) if I want to keep the weight down. I use angled scopes mostly though.

Hermann

I don’t use a tripod when hiking with my Zeiss Dialyt. I use my rucksack or a tree. Sometimes i use a rope. Swarovski makes
the Swarovski Tree Fixing Screw. Never used it myself because I’m afraid to hurt the trees.

It is always a question what to do with a Dialyt 18-45x65 Scope in the mountains. I personal use in lower area and for digital birding or only nature obervation, with my ZEISS Harpia 95, all the time Berlebach tripods. Over a couple of years now many (NoBerlebach) orderd, but final only Berlebach can solve my problem of stability and comfort, compared with weight. The normal Report 823 is excellent stabile, or the smaler one, called Berlebach mini on a tabel or, mini L, to sit on the ground. So real, depending if you want to sit or stand and watch with you Zeiss Dialyt. Have fun with it...

Last edited:
I don’t use a tripod when hiking with my Zeiss Dialyt. I use my rucksack or a tree. Sometimes i use a rope. Swarovski makes
the Swarovski Tree Fixing Screw. Never used it myself because I’m afraid to hurt the trees.

There is an Austria based metall manufacture which solve the problem with Baumschraube excellent:

Enjoy....

There is an Austria based metall manufacture which solve the problem with Baumschraube excellent:

Enjoy....
I would NEVER use any device that potentially damages a tree. The "Baumschraube" is an archaic device that runs counter to any idea of conservation. At least in Germany using it in a conservation area ("Naturschutzgebiet") is also forbidden by law.

Hermann

Wow I've never heard of a 'tree screw'. Imagine the damage in popular areas plus you are certain to spread various die back diseases.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back