• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wiggly scope (1 Viewer)

dhowes

My Swaro 80 (compact) scope tends to come loose and wiggle on my Velbon 450 tripod in spite of being screwed on tightly. I've tried superglue on threads and platform but to no avail. I'm considering filing-down the tripod foot on the scope to fit the Velbon head to avoid having to use the plate but the only other obvious alternative is to buy an (expensive) Swaro tripod which is custom made for the scope. Both options seem a bit drastic. Has anyone else got a solution for this problem which proably affects other scope/tripod combinations?

dh

Think very carefully before filing down the foot of your scope!! You'll probably ruin your right to any service under warranty if you make a mess of it.

One of the options you might consider are changing the head of your tripod to a Manfrotto 128RC2 (about £60) which will take the foot of the (newer green bodied models) Swaro scopes with out any QR plate. Swaro used to use a version of this on their own tripods (it was actually manufactured for them by Manfrotto).

[/I'm considering filing-down the tripod foot on the scope to fit the Velbon head QUOTE]

Definitely not a good idea......

Why is it working loose/ How do you carry it?

Does your Velbon q/r plate have an anti rotation pin, this may help, otherwise do consider changing the tripod head or investing in a better tripod that suits your telescope.....personally I think the Velbon 450 is not quite up to the job and perhaps an upgrade is in order.

Again, strongly suggest you don't retrofit the scope foot in any way. Good luck

Wiggly scope advice

My Swaro 80 (compact) scope tends to come loose and wiggle on my Velbon 450 tripod in spite of being screwed on tightly. I've tried superglue on threads and platform but to no avail. I'm considering filing-down the tripod foot on the scope to fit the Velbon head to avoid having to use the plate but the only other obvious alternative is to buy an (expensive) Swaro tripod which is custom made for the scope. Both options seem a bit drastic. Has anyone else got a solution for this problem which proably affects other scope/tripod combinations?

dh

Thanks for advice/comments. I think I'll try a Manfrotto head.

Thanks for advice/comments. I think I'll try a Manfrotto head.

I have my (Kowa) telescope mounted on a Manfrotto quick release foot and head, and the screw loosened time and time again. I have resolved the problem, so far, by using a thread lock compound, which is usually dispensed from a small tube. Epoxies and cements may be too permanent -- the screw may be difficult or impossible to remove!

Norman P

I had this problem with my Manfrotto 128 head (non qr plate version)

I got a new slice of rubber from Manfrotto and now it does not work loose anymore!

The rubber cost a crazy £8 including shipping but it works!

I have an old Optolyth trawtube scope with a Manfrotto quick release head (with a cork top). Problem solved by 'liberating' a large rubber washer from work. Cheap as chips.

PM me and I'll stick one in the post for you...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back