• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Warbler? Saltburn by the Sea, UK (1 Viewer)

Reesyd

Wales
Evening all

Can anyone help with the ID of this bird please.

Kind Regards, Rees

Attachments

• IMG_4979.jpeg
    IMG_4979.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 90
Hello Rees,

presuming it is a recent picture (march 2024?), than its often good to start with a Chiffchaff and only then to think of a Willow Warbler. Or that you hear a song or a call? Or did you identify the bird as a Willow Warbler in the field? You know, I trust original observers more than a single picture.

Anyway, all dark and fine bill is better for a Chiffchaff, many WW have a slightly stronger one with a pale, sometimes even pale orangey base.
And surely biased by date, I find the dirty olive upperparts and ochre-yellowish hues on the breast better for a Chiffchaff.
And does your bird has a short pp? Yes, I think so, but its hard to be sure. Do you have more pictures?

As said, going only by the single picture and the date, I think its a Chiffchaff. But its hard to exclude a WW with 100% confidence, at least for me.

But its surely one of those two species imo

Hello Rees,

presuming it is a recent picture (march 2024?), than its often good to start with a Chiffchaff and only then to think of a Willow Warbler. Or that you hear a song or a call? Or did you identify the bird as a Willow Warbler in the field? You know, I trust original observers more than a single picture.

Anyway, all dark and fine bill is better for a Chiffchaff, many WW have a slightly stronger one with a pale, sometimes even pale orangey base.
And surely biased by date, I find the dirty olive upperparts and ochre-yellowish hues on the breast better for a Chiffchaff.
And does your bird has a short pp? Yes, I think so, but its hard to be sure. Do you have more pictures?

As said, going only by the single picture and the date, I think its a Chiffchaff. But its hard to exclude a WW with 100% confidence, at least for me.

But its surely one of those two species imo
Thank you.

Photo was taken today of 1 of 2 birds flitting around a hedgerow. Unfortunately, no song or call uttered in the 10 or so minutes I was observing them.

I have several additional pictures that may assist.

Kind Regards, Rees

Attachments

• IMG_4973.jpeg
    IMG_4973.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4977.jpeg
    IMG_4977.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4969.jpeg
    IMG_4969.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4968.jpeg
    IMG_4968.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4967.jpeg
    IMG_4967.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 35
Short primaries (see especially pic 3 in 2nd batch) + dark legs ( + date) = chiffchaff.
Did you have reasons why you thought it might be a willow warbler? If you mention why at the outset, it helps people to address your specific ID problems directly. Also helps and saves time to give all the photos, and date, at the outset (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back